Box Office: Same story as 'Breaking Dawn, Pt. 2' and 'Skyfall' dominate Thanksgiving
'Rise of the Guardians' looks like a major disappointment
There was little change at the box office on Thanksgiving as most of America sat down with family and friends to enjoy a holiday meal.
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 2" remained in the top spot with another $8 million and $183 million so far. It's tracking slightly ahead of "Part 1" which was at $179.1 million at this point last year.
"Skyfall" remained in the second slot with $7.6 million and $185.7 million domestically. The 23rd James Bond flick has now grossed a franchise record $693.6 million worldwide.
Third place went to Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" which continues to draw in moviegoers who only go to the theater a few times a year. The period drama found another $4.8 million in only 2,018 theaters for a superb $37.1 million in just 14 days.
"Life of Pi" had a nice 23% jump from its opening day for a $4.5 million take and $8.2 million so far. The Ang Lee 3D epic could easily crack $30 million by end of day Sunday.
Disappointing in fifth is DreamWorks Animations' "Rise of the Guardians." The family friendly flick should rebound on Friday and Saturday, but Thursday's $3.7 million and a two-day gross of $8.5 million was not what the independent animation studio was hoping for.
More disheartening for DWA? The critically lambasted "Red Dawn" had a better per screen average ($1,209 vs. $1,021 for "Guardians") pulling in another $3.2 million and $7.4 million so far.
Look for more box office updates throughout the weekend on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)