Box Office: 'Safe Haven' sneaks by 'A Good Day to Die Hard' on Valentine's Day
'Beautiful Creatures' has an ugly start
It was a battle of badly reviewed movies on Valentine's Day, but moviegoers looking for an escape didn't seem to care what the nation's critics thought. Relativity Media's "Safe Haven" had a strong start with the latest Nicholas Sparks creating grossing $8.8 million. "Haven" looks like it will be a huge hit for Relativity as it cost just $28 million and could gross more than that in its first four days.
Right behind "Haven" in second was the fifth "Die Hard" film, "A Good Day To Die Hard," pulling in an impressive $8.2 million. With a reported budget of $92 million, "A Good Day" should win the holiday weekend with anywhere from $35-40 million four the five-day. 20th Century Fox is really counting on "Die Hard 5" to perform overseas which is pretty obvious by how much the growing Russian market is integrated in "A Good Day's" storyline.
Last weekend's champ, "Identity Thief," dropped to no. 3 with another $5.3 million and $47.2 million in just seven days. "Thief" looks like it has an excellent chance of grossing $100 million plus when all is said and done.
Romantic zombie comedy "Warm Bodies" received a nice jump on Thursday finding another $2.55 million for $41.2 million in its first two weeks. The Summit Entertainment release looks like it may top out around $60 million. Considering a good chunk of its $32 million budget was financed through international sales it should be a very nice moneymaker for Summit-Lionsgate.
One of the biggest misses of the year so far was right behind in fifth place, Warner Bros.' "Beautiful Creatures." The adaptation of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's novel grossed only $2.54 million for what could be a $15-17 million five-day weekend at best. "Creatures" actually received more positive reviews than "Safe Haven" or "Die Hard 5," but WB couldn't find a marketing direction that inspired moviegoers to buy a ticket. At least, not yet.
Look for box office updates all weekend long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Watch 2PM Give Each Other Hugs, Spankings + Piggyback Rides at '2PM Is Back With Genie' Concert [Video] Would Adam Lambert Judge 'American Idol?' [Video] Chris Brown Receiving Death Threats
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite