Box Office: 'Safe Haven' sneaks by 'A Good Day to Die Hard' on Valentine's Day
'Beautiful Creatures' has an ugly start
It was a battle of badly reviewed movies on Valentine's Day, but moviegoers looking for an escape didn't seem to care what the nation's critics thought. Relativity Media's "Safe Haven" had a strong start with the latest Nicholas Sparks creating grossing $8.8 million. "Haven" looks like it will be a huge hit for Relativity as it cost just $28 million and could gross more than that in its first four days.
Right behind "Haven" in second was the fifth "Die Hard" film, "A Good Day To Die Hard," pulling in an impressive $8.2 million. With a reported budget of $92 million, "A Good Day" should win the holiday weekend with anywhere from $35-40 million four the five-day. 20th Century Fox is really counting on "Die Hard 5" to perform overseas which is pretty obvious by how much the growing Russian market is integrated in "A Good Day's" storyline.
Last weekend's champ, "Identity Thief," dropped to no. 3 with another $5.3 million and $47.2 million in just seven days. "Thief" looks like it has an excellent chance of grossing $100 million plus when all is said and done.
Romantic zombie comedy "Warm Bodies" received a nice jump on Thursday finding another $2.55 million for $41.2 million in its first two weeks. The Summit Entertainment release looks like it may top out around $60 million. Considering a good chunk of its $32 million budget was financed through international sales it should be a very nice moneymaker for Summit-Lionsgate.
One of the biggest misses of the year so far was right behind in fifth place, Warner Bros.' "Beautiful Creatures." The adaptation of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's novel grossed only $2.54 million for what could be a $15-17 million five-day weekend at best. "Creatures" actually received more positive reviews than "Safe Haven" or "Die Hard 5," but WB couldn't find a marketing direction that inspired moviegoers to buy a ticket. At least, not yet.
Look for box office updates all weekend long on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel