Box Office: 'Resident Evil: Retribution' and 'The Master' rule Friday
Will 'Finding Nemo 3D' win the weekend?
After some truly pitiful results at the box office over the past few weeks, Hollywood can breathe easier after the solid debuts of two new entries nationwide and a spectacular opening in limited release.
Paul W.S. Anderson's "Resident Evil: Retribution" opened to a solid $8.4 million for what should be a $22-24 million weekend. That figure would be below the $26.6 million "Resident Evil: Afterlife" found in 2010, but on par with the debuts of the second and third installments in the franchise. Screen Gems and Sony Pictures expect to make up the picture's reported $65 million budget overseas. The franchise is much more popular globally with "Afterlife" grossing over $236 million outside the U.S. And based on Friday's debut, "Retribution" likely won't stay no. 1 for long.
The other big news Friday was the limited opening of Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" in New York and Los Angeles. Playing in only four theaters, "The Master" averaged $48,400 per show effectively selling out almost every screening. Based on Friday's per screen, "The Master" should easily surpass the $95,370 in 2 theaters Anderson's "There Will Be Blood" grossed in 2007. Whether it can top the $130,749 per location average that Focus Features' "Moonrise Kingdom" grossed in four theaters this past May remains to be seen, but it will certainly come down to the wire.
Meanwhile, holdovers "The Possession" and "Lawless" scored another $1.8 million and $1.3 million, respectively.
Look for complete box office estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed