Box Office: 'Prometheus' bursts out Friday with $21.4 Million nipping 'Madagascar 3'
'Snow White' doesn't crash
Ridley Scott still has some kick left in his game. The legendary filmmaker has been hot and cold the past decade, but he scored a huge win on Friday as "Prometheus" pulled in $21.4 million. That's an impressive start for the R-rated thriller and even more so considering the mixed reviews. In fact, the "Alien" semi-prequel is looking at 3-day come of $55-57 million. That puts it right behind Scott's largest opening ever, "Hannibal," which debuted with $58 million in 2001. The 20th Century Fox release also puts star Charlize Theron in the driver's seat for possibly her second no.1 movie in two weeks following last week's big opening for "Snow White and the Huntsman."
Last week's champ didn't do too badly Friday, pulling in another $7.5 million for what should be $82.9 million in just eight days. The Universal Pictures fantasy should end up with $160 million plus when all is said and done which it isn't. The studio has already put a sequel in the works for stars Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth and Sam Clafin.
Dropping to fourth was Sony Pictures' "Men in Black 3." The Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin action comedy grossed another $4.2 million for $1226 million) so far. The picture is actually playing much better overseas with over $307 million. Those global grosses are the only hope Sony has of breaking even on the costly picture.
Right behind "MIB3" was Marvel's amazing "The Avengers" with another $3.2 million and $564 million in the U.S. alone. Joss Whedon's phenomenon should hit $600 million domestic, but will likely have a hard time reaching "Titanic's" current $658.6 million take.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!