Box Office: 'Paranormal Activity 4' spooks $15 million on Friday
Tyler Perry's "Alex Cross" can't match Madea
From 2004-2010, Lionsgate "Saw" franchise dominated the October box office scaring any competitors that might try to get in its way. Inevitably, audiences got tired of the "Saw" films. Based on Friday's grosses, they haven't gotten over "Paranormal Activity" yet.
"Paranormal Activity 4" debuted to $15 million for what could be a $32-35 million weekend. That's significantly lower than the $52.6 million "Paranormal Activity 3" opened to last year and even under the $40 million debut for "Paranormal Activity 2" in 2010. Considering "PA4" only cost $5 million, Paramount is already in the black on this one and that means you can probably expect "Paranormal Activity 5" next October.
Playing off good word of mouth in the second slot is Ben Affleck's "Argo." The potential best picture player grossed another $5 million for a strong $31.6 million in just eight days.
"Taken 2" wasn't far behind "Argo" as it found $4.2 million on Friday for $96.8 million so far. Liam Neeson's franchise sequel should cross the $100 million mark today.
Coming in somewhat under expectations is Summit Entertainment's "Alex Cross." The reboot of the James Patterson crime thriller found just $4 million on Friday for what could be a $11-13 million three-day gross. That means it could come in under Perry's February disappointment "Tyler Perry's Good Deeds" which opened to just $15.5 million. In fact, it would be one of Perry's lowest openers ever.
"Hotel Transylvania" rounded out the top five with another $3.6 million and $109.1 million so far.
Look for complete box office estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast? 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Spoiler Special: Burning Questions Answered 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now!
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3