Box Office: 'Oz' rules over surprisingly strong 'The Call' while 'Burt Wonderstone' fizzles
'Spring Breakers' opens to a potent $90,000 average in limited release
NEW YORK (AP) — "Oz the Great and Powerful" is living up to its name at the box office.
Walt Disney's 3-D blockbuster led all films for the second week in a row, taking in $42.2 million according to studio estimates Sunday. Sam Raimi's prequel to the L. Frank Baum classic "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" also took in $46.6 million overseas, leading to a two-week worldwide total of $281.8 million.
In a winter of underperforming releases, that makes "Oz" easily the biggest hit of 2013 so far.
"Boy, did we need it," said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com. "There have been a lot of box-office casualties this year. This is the shot in the arm that we needed, but we're still waiting for the marketplace to gain some sort of momentum."
The box office is down nearly 13 percent from last year.
Among the weekend's debuts, the Halle Berry thriller "The Call" far exceeded expectations with a $17.1 million opening for Sony and TriStar Pictures. The Steve Carell magician comedy "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" fared worse, opening with a disappointing $10.3 million for Warner Bros.
Review: 'Spring Breakers' corrupts Gomez and Hudgens to sad and canny effect
Harmony Korine's new film is crazy like a fox
Review: Steve Carell's 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone' is more trick than magic
Some big laughs are lost in a narrative muddle
Female turnout has driven most all of the box office hits of the year, including the Melissa McCarthy comedy "Identity Thief" and the vampire romance "Warm Bodies." Macho films like Arnold Schwarzenegger's "The Last Stand" and Sylvester Stallone's "Bullet to the Head" have fizzled.
"Studios should take note," says Dergarabedian. "There's a lot of female power going on at the box office."
Opening in just three theaters in New York and Los Angeles was another film starring James Franco, who plays the Wizard in "Oz the Great and Poweful." ''Spring Breakers," a dreamy trip of day-glo debauchery starring Franco, Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens, opened with a strong $90,000 per-theater average ahead of its wider release next weekend.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday:
1."Oz the Great and Powerful," $42.2 million. ($46.6 million international.)
2."The Call," $17.1 million.
3."The Incredible Burt Wonderstone," $10.3 million.
4."Jack the Giant Slayer," $6.2 million.
5."Identity Thief," $4.5 million.
6."Snitch," $3.5 million.
7."21 and Over," $2.6 million.
8."Silver Linings Playbook," $2.6 million.
9."Safe Haven," $2.5 million.
10."Escape From Planet Earth," $2.3 million.
Copyright (2013) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title