Box Office: 'Men in Black 3' zaps 'The Avengers' to no. 2 with $18 million Friday
'Chernobyl Diaries' barely scares with $3.5 million
Nothing lasts forever and after three impressive weekends "The Avengers" reign at no. 1 appears to be over. On Friday, "Men in Black 3" debuted to $18 million.
The third installment in the franchise may have taken 10 years to get to off the ground, but audiences are embracing the Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin comedy enough for an estimated $70-75 million for the four-day Memorial Day weekend frame. That's hardly a record-setting debut, but studio Sony Pictures will take it. The company may have more concerns about the picture's international grosses which are markedly less than projected so far.
Joss Whedon's "The Avengers" found another $9.6 million for a remarkable $486.3 million to date. The Marvel Studios phenomenon is currently the no. 4 biggest U.S. grosser of all time and could easily pass "The Dark Knight's" $533.3 million no. 3 tally sometime next weekend. Looking less likely, however, is surpassing the $658.5 million mark of "Titanic" in the all-time list's no. 2 slot.
Dropping with a big thud to fourth is Universal Pictures' "Battleship." The Peter Berg adventure found just $3 million on Friday for $36.5 million in eight days.
With just $227 million overseas and a reported budget of $225 million plus, "Battleship" has turned out to be a major summer and tentpole miscalculation for the studio. They'll hopefully turn things around with "Snow White and the Huntsman" on June 1.
With another $2.7 million on Friday, fifth place went to Sacha Baron Cohen' "The Dictator." The Paramount Pictures comedy hasn't been the minor hit the studio was hoping for with just $34.6 million in 10 days. The studio will likely be satisfied, however, if "The Dictator" can end its domestic run somewhere near $70 million.
Look for updated box office estimates all weekend long on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures