Box Office: 'Men in Black 3' zaps 'The Avengers' to no. 2 with $18 million Friday
'Chernobyl Diaries' barely scares with $3.5 million
Nothing lasts forever and after three impressive weekends "The Avengers" reign at no. 1 appears to be over. On Friday, "Men in Black 3" debuted to $18 million.
The third installment in the franchise may have taken 10 years to get to off the ground, but audiences are embracing the Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin comedy enough for an estimated $70-75 million for the four-day Memorial Day weekend frame. That's hardly a record-setting debut, but studio Sony Pictures will take it. The company may have more concerns about the picture's international grosses which are markedly less than projected so far.
Joss Whedon's "The Avengers" found another $9.6 million for a remarkable $486.3 million to date. The Marvel Studios phenomenon is currently the no. 4 biggest U.S. grosser of all time and could easily pass "The Dark Knight's" $533.3 million no. 3 tally sometime next weekend. Looking less likely, however, is surpassing the $658.5 million mark of "Titanic" in the all-time list's no. 2 slot.
Dropping with a big thud to fourth is Universal Pictures' "Battleship." The Peter Berg adventure found just $3 million on Friday for $36.5 million in eight days.
With just $227 million overseas and a reported budget of $225 million plus, "Battleship" has turned out to be a major summer and tentpole miscalculation for the studio. They'll hopefully turn things around with "Snow White and the Huntsman" on June 1.
With another $2.7 million on Friday, fifth place went to Sacha Baron Cohen' "The Dictator." The Paramount Pictures comedy hasn't been the minor hit the studio was hoping for with just $34.6 million in 10 days. The studio will likely be satisfied, however, if "The Dictator" can end its domestic run somewhere near $70 million.
Look for updated box office estimates all weekend long on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels