Box office: 'Jack the Giant Slayer' tops slow Friday with disappointing debut
'21 and Over' and 'Last Exorcism Part II' also open soft
Bryan Singer's revisionist fairy tale "Jack the Giant Slayer" -- starring Nicholas Hoult and Ewan McGregor -- may not live happily ever after at the box office.
The pricey pic (estimated to have cost nearly $200 million) earned $7.7 million on Friday night, and will likely pick up around $25 million for the weekend.
It was enough for the film to debut at No. 1, topping fellow newcomers "21 & Over" and 'The Last Exorcism Part II," but New Line must be disappointed by the opening numbers.
Meanwhile, the college binge drinking comedy "21 & Over" opened in second place with a soft $3.3 million, while horror sequel "Exorcism" scared up $3.2 million for the No. 3 spot.
Both films will likely pick up between $8 million and $10 million for the three-day period.
The Melissa McCarthy-Jason Bateman comedy "Identity Thief" continues to hold strong, as it picked up another $2.7 million. It was enough for the film to crack the $100 million mark at the domestic box office. t's no surprise that universal is already talking about a sequel.
The Dwayne Johnson drama "Snitch" rounded out the top five, earning $2.1 million. Its domestic take now stands at $18.1 million.
Opening on just over 1,100 screens, RCR's submarine thriller "Phantom" is reportedly expected to earn a cringe-worthy $500,000 for the weekend, easily making it one of the worst box office debuts of all time. It stars Ed Harris and David Duchovny.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)