Box office: 'Jack the Giant Slayer' tops slow Friday with disappointing debut
'21 and Over' and 'Last Exorcism Part II' also open soft
Bryan Singer's revisionist fairy tale "Jack the Giant Slayer" -- starring Nicholas Hoult and Ewan McGregor -- may not live happily ever after at the box office.
The pricey pic (estimated to have cost nearly $200 million) earned $7.7 million on Friday night, and will likely pick up around $25 million for the weekend.
It was enough for the film to debut at No. 1, topping fellow newcomers "21 & Over" and 'The Last Exorcism Part II," but New Line must be disappointed by the opening numbers.
Meanwhile, the college binge drinking comedy "21 & Over" opened in second place with a soft $3.3 million, while horror sequel "Exorcism" scared up $3.2 million for the No. 3 spot.
Both films will likely pick up between $8 million and $10 million for the three-day period.
The Melissa McCarthy-Jason Bateman comedy "Identity Thief" continues to hold strong, as it picked up another $2.7 million. It was enough for the film to crack the $100 million mark at the domestic box office. t's no surprise that universal is already talking about a sequel.
The Dwayne Johnson drama "Snitch" rounded out the top five, earning $2.1 million. Its domestic take now stands at $18.1 million.
Opening on just over 1,100 screens, RCR's submarine thriller "Phantom" is reportedly expected to earn a cringe-worthy $500,000 for the weekend, easily making it one of the worst box office debuts of all time. It stars Ed Harris and David Duchovny.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Mariah Carey Medleys, Jennifer Lopez Lives It Up With Pitbull on 'American Idol' Finale [Videos] Candice Glover Wins 'American Idol' Season 12 Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video]
- Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? 'The Office' Finale: Michael Scott's Surprise Appearance And Your New 'American Idol' Is ...
- Crosstalk: A fan and a newbie catch up on the first season of The Venture Bros. AVQ&A: What are your favorite and least favorite cultural baits and switches? Podmass: The Dice Man infiltrates podcasting, Casey Wilson chokes up on The JV Club, and Kumail vs. Maron
- 'The Office' Series Finale Review: "Finale" 'Anger Management' Review: "Charlie and the Break-Up Coach" 'Hannibal' Review: "Fromage"
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock