Box Office: 'Hotel Transylvania' is no. 1 as 'Pitch Perfect' sounds lovely in limited release
'Looper' hits $21.2 million
After 10 years of middling success, Sony Pictures Animation may finally have another breakout hit. The studio's new animated comedy "Hotel Transylvania" ran away with the top spot at the box office and exceeded expectations with $43 million. Sony Animation's previous top grosser was "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" which debuted to $30.3 million just over three years ago. "Transylvania" has competition next week with Tim Burton's stop motion animated "Frankenweenie" opening, but it should still eventually cross the $100 million mark. It's a nice surprise considering Sony Pictures Animation doesn't always receive the respect it deserves from the media or its peers.
Another Sony release hit the second spot as "Looper" grossed an impressive $21.2 million. The Rian Johnson directed thriller cost only $30 million after shooting in both China and Louisiana. Sony Pictures and Endgame Entertainment are hoping for strong word of mouth in the weeks to come especially after averaging an 84 on Metacritic and a superb 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Universal Pictures released "Pitch Perfect" in just 335 and audiences are singing their song as it made $5.2 million over three day. That's an absolutely knockout $15,522 per screen average. "Perfect" expands to over 2,700 theaters nationwide on Friday.
Unfortunately, there was some bad news at the local multiplex. 20th Century Fox and Walden Media's "Won't Back Down" was nothing but a disaster finding just $2.7 million on 2,500 screens. The teachers vs. the teacher's union drama landed one of the worst openings of the year.
New releases this Friday include the aforementioned "Frankenweenie" and "Taken 2." The latter is polling at a massive $50 million plus opening.
Box Office actuals are released on Monday.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?