Box Office: 'Hobbit' sneaks by 'Les Miserables' to win Thursday
'An Unexpected Journey' isn't giving up the holiday frame crown yet
It appears you can't keep a good hobbit down. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" displayed impressive resiliency returning to the top of the box office Thursday grossing another $10.1 million for $189.7 million over its first 14 days. Granted, Peter Jackson's epic is in a massive 4,100 theaters and has higher ticket prices thanks to a majority of 3D engagements, but Warner Bros. and MGM will take the steady sales over the holiday frame. Globally, "The Hobbit" is at $562.7 million with hopes of cracking $700 million by end of day Sunday.
"Les Miserables" pulled in another $9.1 million on Thursday for $39.4 million over its first three days. The Universal Pictures release has made $71.6 million worldwide so far. It should battle "The Hobbit" for the weekend crown.
Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" dropped to third with another $8.3 million and $33.3 million to date. Numbers should also perk back up for The Weinstein Company's holiday gift beginning today.
20th Century Fox's "Parental Guidance" made $4.1 million Thursday dropping only 4% from Wednesday's gross. That puts it at $14.7 million over its first three days which is slightly more impressive than it first seems. As noted previously, Fox will easily get into the black on this $30 million budgeted PG comedy.
"Jack Reacher" claimed the fifth spot as it took in another $3.5 million. Tom Cruise's latest end of year release has $30.7 million in its first week of release.
Look for continuing box office updates over the holiday frame on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'