Box Office: 'Hobbit' sneaks by 'Les Miserables' to win Thursday
'An Unexpected Journey' isn't giving up the holiday frame crown yet
It appears you can't keep a good hobbit down. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" displayed impressive resiliency returning to the top of the box office Thursday grossing another $10.1 million for $189.7 million over its first 14 days. Granted, Peter Jackson's epic is in a massive 4,100 theaters and has higher ticket prices thanks to a majority of 3D engagements, but Warner Bros. and MGM will take the steady sales over the holiday frame. Globally, "The Hobbit" is at $562.7 million with hopes of cracking $700 million by end of day Sunday.
"Les Miserables" pulled in another $9.1 million on Thursday for $39.4 million over its first three days. The Universal Pictures release has made $71.6 million worldwide so far. It should battle "The Hobbit" for the weekend crown.
Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" dropped to third with another $8.3 million and $33.3 million to date. Numbers should also perk back up for The Weinstein Company's holiday gift beginning today.
20th Century Fox's "Parental Guidance" made $4.1 million Thursday dropping only 4% from Wednesday's gross. That puts it at $14.7 million over its first three days which is slightly more impressive than it first seems. As noted previously, Fox will easily get into the black on this $30 million budgeted PG comedy.
"Jack Reacher" claimed the fifth spot as it took in another $3.5 million. Tom Cruise's latest end of year release has $30.7 million in its first week of release.
Look for continuing box office updates over the holiday frame on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Inventory: “Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money”: 20 inept magicians in pop culture For Our Consideration: The crowd-funding conundrum: The line between bringing fans closer and taking advantage Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Four: The Coen brothers return to the festival with a folk-rock flashback
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- WATCH: SNL Spoofs San Francisco's Bacon Bacon Controversy Mike Hogan: The Wedding From Hell WATCH: 'SNL' Takes On IRS Scandal
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- 'Mad Men' Review: "The Crash" 'Game of Thrones' Review: "Second Sons" 'Star Wars Episode 7′ — Jonathan Rhys Meyers to Join the Cast?
- Nicki Minaj Gives Lil Wayne a Lap Dance During 'High School' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] David Guetta, Akon + Ne-Yo 'Play Hard' at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video] Prince Closes 2013 Billboard Music Awards With Rare Performance Medley