Box Office: 'Hansel and Gretel' tops slow weekend as 'Movie 43' flops
'Parker' also disappoints and 'Mama' holds strong
Three newcomers failed to ignite a slow box office Friday night, with the revisionist fairy tale "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" Fellow newbies "Movie 43" and "Parker" while holdover "Mama" and Oscar nominees "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Zero Dark Thirty" continue to play well.
Hampered by bad weather in parts of the U.S., "Hansel" was able to top the box office with a lower-than-expected $6 million. It's projected to make around for $17 million the weekend, which is lower than was projected for the Jeremy Renner actioner which cost a reported $50 million.
"Silver Linings Playbook" and "Zero Dark Thirty" are still experiencing big boosts from their recent Oscar nominations. The former came in third place, earning another $2.3 million, bringing its domestic total to $61.8 million. "ZDT," meanwhile, also picked up around $2.3 million for fourth place. It has so far earned $62.4 million in the U.S.
"Parker" rounds out the top five, after carving up a disappointing $2.1 million. The Jason Statham shoot-'em-up will likely earn around $6 million over its opening weekend.
Audiences apparently aren't amused by "Movie 43," the third wide opener this weekend. Even stars like Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Emma Stone and Halle Berry couldn't lure viewers to the new anthology comedy. It earned just $1.8 million on Friday, and will struggle to top $5 million for the three-day. The numbers are lower than expected, but the bright spot is that the film only cost a reported $6 million.
Look for complete weekend estimates Sunday on HitFix.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)