Box office: 'Burt Wonderstone' and 'The Call' can't stop 'Oz the Great and Powerful'
Steve Carell and Jim Carrey comedy flops as Halle Berry thriller surprises
Two new wide openers couldn't compete against the box office magic of Sam Raimi's "Oz the Great and Powerful" on Friday.
The fantasy film, starring James Franco, Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams, earned $11.4 million on Friday, bringing its domestic total to a magical $114.2 million.
Making a surprising debut at No. 2 was the new Halle Berry thriller "The Call," which earned a more-than-expected $6.2 million. It will likely dial up around $16 million over the three-day period.
It will likely reach only $11 million for the weekend, which will make it the second disappointment in a row for the studio, following "Jack the Giant Slayer."
The Bryan Singer-sirected "Slayer" fell to fourth place in its third weekend, earning $1.7 million. The pricey pic's total domestic take is a dismal $49.4 million.
Universal's hit comedy "Identity Thief" rounded out the top five, making off with another $1.4 million. The biggest hit of the year so far, it has grossed over $120 million.
"Oz" is just the second film of the year to hit $100 million at the domestic box office.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!