Box office: 'Burt Wonderstone' and 'The Call' can't stop 'Oz the Great and Powerful'
Steve Carell and Jim Carrey comedy flops as Halle Berry thriller surprises
Two new wide openers couldn't compete against the box office magic of Sam Raimi's "Oz the Great and Powerful" on Friday.
The fantasy film, starring James Franco, Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams, earned $11.4 million on Friday, bringing its domestic total to a magical $114.2 million.
Making a surprising debut at No. 2 was the new Halle Berry thriller "The Call," which earned a more-than-expected $6.2 million. It will likely dial up around $16 million over the three-day period.
It will likely reach only $11 million for the weekend, which will make it the second disappointment in a row for the studio, following "Jack the Giant Slayer."
The Bryan Singer-sirected "Slayer" fell to fourth place in its third weekend, earning $1.7 million. The pricey pic's total domestic take is a dismal $49.4 million.
Universal's hit comedy "Identity Thief" rounded out the top five, making off with another $1.4 million. The biggest hit of the year so far, it has grossed over $120 million.
"Oz" is just the second film of the year to hit $100 million at the domestic box office.
News From Our Partners
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell