Box Office: 'Breaking Dawn' takes bite out of Friday as 'Life of pi' opens strong
'Rise of the Guardians' disappoints while 'Skyfall' and 'Lincoln' continue to thrive
Hollywood is feasting on the long Thanksgiving weekend, as several newcomers compete with a handful of holdovers for hungry audiences.
No surprise, "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part II" continues its reign at the top this weekend. The final film in the smash series picked up $17.4 million on Friday, pushing its domestic box office take to just over $200 million.
Holdovers "Skyfall" and "Lincoln" continue to do well, placing in second and third place with $14.7 million and $9.9 million, respectively. The James Bond film has also cracked the magical $200 million mark domestically, while Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" has so far made $47.1 million.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Meanwhile, fellow rookie "Life of Pi," which opened Wednesday, is exceeding expected numbers, snagging $8.8 million on Friday. The acclaimed Ang Lee-directed film's total stands at $17 million, boosting by 3D ticket sales. It should earn around $30 million for the weekend.
Stealing much of "Guardians'" thunder, the Disney 'toon "Wreck-It Ralph" continues to overperform. It racked up another $6.7 million, bringing its score up to $139.5 million domestically.
Another newcomer that may end up lost in the shuffle is the "Red Dawn" remake, which carved out a decent $6 million on Friday. After a Wednesday opening, its domestic total stands at $13.4 million.
The inexpensive Denzel Washington drama "Flight" added another $3.7 million to its U.S. total, which stands at $69.9 million.
The Weinstein Company's potential Oscar player "Silver Linings Playbook" scored an excellent $1.6 million from just 367 screens.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After