Box Office: 'Breaking Dawn' takes bite out of Friday as 'Life of pi' opens strong
'Rise of the Guardians' disappoints while 'Skyfall' and 'Lincoln' continue to thrive
Hollywood is feasting on the long Thanksgiving weekend, as several newcomers compete with a handful of holdovers for hungry audiences.
No surprise, "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part II" continues its reign at the top this weekend. The final film in the smash series picked up $17.4 million on Friday, pushing its domestic box office take to just over $200 million.
Holdovers "Skyfall" and "Lincoln" continue to do well, placing in second and third place with $14.7 million and $9.9 million, respectively. The James Bond film has also cracked the magical $200 million mark domestically, while Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" has so far made $47.1 million.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Meanwhile, fellow rookie "Life of Pi," which opened Wednesday, is exceeding expected numbers, snagging $8.8 million on Friday. The acclaimed Ang Lee-directed film's total stands at $17 million, boosting by 3D ticket sales. It should earn around $30 million for the weekend.
Stealing much of "Guardians'" thunder, the Disney 'toon "Wreck-It Ralph" continues to overperform. It racked up another $6.7 million, bringing its score up to $139.5 million domestically.
Another newcomer that may end up lost in the shuffle is the "Red Dawn" remake, which carved out a decent $6 million on Friday. After a Wednesday opening, its domestic total stands at $13.4 million.
The inexpensive Denzel Washington drama "Flight" added another $3.7 million to its U.S. total, which stands at $69.9 million.
The Weinstein Company's potential Oscar player "Silver Linings Playbook" scored an excellent $1.6 million from just 367 screens.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!