Box Office: Bond is back as 'Skyfall' rips $77 million overseas
007 smashes records in the UK with $32.4 million
Bond is back and he's back with a bang. Well, Ian Flemming's iconic agent 007 is back in 25 markets across the globe, at least.
"Skyfall," the first James Bond film in four years, grossed an impressive $77.7 million overseas this weekend including a massive $32.4 million in the UK. Bond has always been popular on his native soil, but "Skyfall" is now the second largest debut in British history with only last year's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" opening bigger.
Other key markets found a superb $9.1 million in France, $8.6 million in Russia, $6.5 million in Brazil and a strong $6.1 million in Korea.
This is a huge start for "Skyfall" internationally. Bond has traditionally been a bigger player overseas than in the U.S. with both "Casino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace" grossing $426.7 million and $417.7 million respectively. However, based on this start "Skyfall" should outperform both previous Bond pictures globally. In even happier news for Sony Pictures and MGM, pre-release polling indicates "Skyfall" should easily surpass "Quantum's" $67.5 million opening in the U.S.
"Skyfall," directed by Sam Mendes ("American Beauty"), is the third film to feature Daniel Craig as the world's greatest secret agent. Already critically acclaimed on both sides of the Atlantic, the picture also stars Javier Bardem, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Ben Winshaw, Albert Finney and Bérénice Marlohe.
American audiences will have to wait two more weeks for Bond, however. "Skyfall" doesn't open in the U.S. until Nov. 9.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition