Box Office: 'Amazing Spider-Man' pulls in $75 million after 3 days
'Katy Perry: Part of Me' opens to $3 million debut
Spidey continues his reign over the Fourth of July weekend box office.
The Sony reboot "Amazing Spider-Man" scored around $16.3 million on Thursday, bringing the film's domestic total to approximately $75.5 million after three days.
It's a strong, but not spectacular, start for the Marc Webb-directed film starring Andrew Garfield as the wall crawler and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy.
"Amazing's" Thursday take suffered a 30% drop from the holiday Wednesday, where the film earned the second biggest Independence Day showing ever, just behind 2007's "Transformers."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
However, considering the huge number of screens (over 4,300) and pricey 3D and IMAX ticket prices, "Amazing" isn't matching the jaw-dropping numbers of some other recent summer blockbusters (including the previous "Spider-Man" sequels), but should nonetheless earn a nifty $140 million for the extended six-day weekend.
Meanwhile, the concert film "Katy Perry: Part of Me" debuted to about $3 million on Thursday, in line with expectations. The film was relatively cheap to produce, costing around $12 million (for comparison, "Spider-Man" came with a $200 million+ price tag), and should break even by Sunday.
Oliver Stone's drug epic "Savages" will try to carve off a chunk of the domestic box office after opening in wide release today.
Look for updated estimates throughout the weekend on HitFix.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One