Box Office: Adam Sandler gets much needed hit after 'Hotel Transylvania's' $11 million Friday
Plus: 'Pitch Perfect' is hitting high notes in just 300 plus theaters
After a disastrous 12 months following the dismal failures of "Jack and Jill" and "That's My Boy," Adam Sandler finally has something to smile about at the box office.
Sony Pictures Animation's "Hotel Transylvania" opened with $11 million on Friday for what could be a $32-36 million weekend. "Transylvania" features the voices of Sandler, Selena Gomez, Andy Samberg and a number of Sandler's buddies including Kevin James, David Spade and Jon Lovitz. If the weekend estimate holds it would actually be the Sony division's biggest opening to date outside of "The Smurfs" which many would qualify as a hybrid animation/live action picture. "Transylvania" won't have the lucrative family audience to itself for very long, however. Tim Burton's stop motion animated "Frankenweenie" opens next Friday.
Three films all followed with a similar Friday take. "Trouble with the Curve" grossed $2.3 million for $18.4 million in just 10 days. "The House at the End of the Street" took in $2.3 million for $17.4 million in the same period. And finally, "End of Watch" made another $2.4 million for $20.5 million also in the same time period.
Universal Pictures released "Pitch Perfect" in just 335 and audiences are singing their song as it made $1.7 million for what should be a $3-4 million three day. "Perfect" expands nationwide on Friday.
20th Century Fox's "Won't Back Down" was nothing but a disaster finding just $921,000 in over 2,500 screens. The teachers vs. the teacher's union drama appears headed for one of the worst openings of the year.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HItFix.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When