Box Office: Adam Sandler gets much needed hit after 'Hotel Transylvania's' $11 million Friday
Plus: 'Pitch Perfect' is hitting high notes in just 300 plus theaters
After a disastrous 12 months following the dismal failures of "Jack and Jill" and "That's My Boy," Adam Sandler finally has something to smile about at the box office.
Sony Pictures Animation's "Hotel Transylvania" opened with $11 million on Friday for what could be a $32-36 million weekend. "Transylvania" features the voices of Sandler, Selena Gomez, Andy Samberg and a number of Sandler's buddies including Kevin James, David Spade and Jon Lovitz. If the weekend estimate holds it would actually be the Sony division's biggest opening to date outside of "The Smurfs" which many would qualify as a hybrid animation/live action picture. "Transylvania" won't have the lucrative family audience to itself for very long, however. Tim Burton's stop motion animated "Frankenweenie" opens next Friday.
Three films all followed with a similar Friday take. "Trouble with the Curve" grossed $2.3 million for $18.4 million in just 10 days. "The House at the End of the Street" took in $2.3 million for $17.4 million in the same period. And finally, "End of Watch" made another $2.4 million for $20.5 million also in the same time period.
Universal Pictures released "Pitch Perfect" in just 335 and audiences are singing their song as it made $1.7 million for what should be a $3-4 million three day. "Perfect" expands nationwide on Friday.
20th Century Fox's "Won't Back Down" was nothing but a disaster finding just $921,000 in over 2,500 screens. The teachers vs. the teacher's union drama appears headed for one of the worst openings of the year.
Look for complete weekend estimates tomorrow on HItFix.
News From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival