Beyonce, Adele and Justin Bieber top this week's Music Power Rankings
Some vets make the list as well
1. Beyonce: Bey snags the Super Bowl halftime show. Not on the possible guest list: M.I.A. or her middle finger.
2. Microsoft Music Service: Once more with feeling. Microsoft will launch its own internet music service next week starting with XBox and then spreading to Window 8. Let’s hope it works out better for them than Zune.
3. Justin Bieber: His video for “Beauty and a Beat,” featuring Nicki Minaj, got 10.6 million views in its first 24 hours on Vevo, setting a new record. Congratulations are due, but as he’ll eventually learn that careers are measured in years, not days... (or, see below, decades)
4. The Rolling Stones: They make it official and announce four dates in November to celebrate the 50th: The two London dates sell out in seven minutes. Hey, it’s only rock and roll but we stil like it.
5. Adele: She’s making other folks rich. Rumor has it her U.K. indie label’s profits soared to $67 million in 2011, primarily on the back of “21.”
6. Taylor Swift: As the Oct. 22 release of “Red” approaches, the only question is how much more than 1 million will it sell in its first week?
7. Bruce Springsteen: Like Superman, The Boss swoops into to Ohio and Iowa to rally for Obama. Working On a Dream 2.0.
8. Lady Gaga: She puts Die Antwoord in their place after they nastily kill her off in a video. Apparently their ire comes from her asking them to open for her. What an insult! They too edgy and hip to open for her, but they’ll sure use her to get publicity. #growup #youstilldonthaveahit
9. Barbra Streisand: It’s a good time to be Babs: She’s on a sold-out tour and with “Release Me,” debuting at No. 7, she is the only act to land more than one album on the Billboard 200 in every decade since the ‘60s. Her closest competition? The Rolling Stones (see No. 4)
10. Jason Aldean: The country superstar joins the elite ranks of artists who can play stadiums. His stadium tour includes a July date at Fenway Park, making him the first country artist to ever play the Red Sox' home field.
News From Our Partners
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
Who is in the lead?Saturday, May 18, 2013
They let their fingers do the talkingFriday, May 17, 2013
How do you auto-tune a smurf?Friday, May 17, 2013
The Twitterverse says yes, her rep says noFriday, May 17, 2013