'Beverly Hills Cop' TV reboot casts 'Tropic Thunder''s Brandon T. Jackson
Comedian nabs the lead role in CBS pilot
Brandon T. Jackson is the new Eddie Murphy.
The "Tropic Thunder" star has nabbed the lead role in CBS's TV reboot of "Beverly Hills Cop," which will function as a small-screen sequel to the film trilogy that helped rocket Murphy to stardom in the 1980s.
Jackson will play Aaron Foley - son of Murphy's Axel Foley - who works as a police officer in the eponymous L.A. burg. Through his work exposing the illicit activities of the city's rich and famous, he attempts to escape the shadow of his renowned father.
Murphy, who is executive-producing the Sony TV project with Shawn Ryan ("The Shield"), is slated to reprise his role in the pilot episode and may recur if it goes to series.
The news was broken by Deadline.
Jackson last appeared on the big-screen in "Big Mommas: Like Father Like Son" opposite Martin Lawrence. He'll next be seen reprising his role as Grover Underwood in the forthcoming fantasy sequel "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters," which is slated for release on August 18, 2013.
The "Beverly Hills Cop" franchise grossed over $700 million worldwide over three films, the last of which was released to diminishing returns in 1994.
Do you think Jackson is the right choice for the lead in "Beverly Hills Cop?" Sound off below.
News From Our Partners
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy