'Bel Ami' review: See Robert Pattinson have racy sex in not so hot costume drama
Sure, the 'Twilight' star can play a total cad, but should he?
- Critic's Rating C-
- Readers' Rating A-
Robert Pattinson really wants your respect.
Ever since he became an instant star as vampire heartthrob Edward Cullen in the "Twilight" movies, he's been scrambling to define himself as a serious actor. To his credit, Pattinson hasn't signed on to any mindless action movie or cheesy thriller for the sake of a big payday. Instead, he's opted for more character-driven material that should theoretically challenge him as an actor: the angsty indie romance "Remember Me" (which he also produced), glossy historical romance adaptation "Water for Elephants" (which gave him a chance to work with Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz) and now the dark period literary adaptation "Bel Ami."
The problem is Pattinson is never entirely up to the challenges he's giving himself. He was at his best in "Elephants," which reined in his tendency toward hammy emoting, but still wound up overshadowed by his costars.
It's even worse in "Bel Ami," a poorly made and depressingly dull rendering of French author Guy de Maupassant's 1885 novel. Pattinson stars as the willfully immoral Georges Duroy, who sleeps his way to the top of Parisian high society. Directors Declan Donnellan and Nick Ormerod -- theater vets making their big screen debut -- somehow miss all opportunities for a juicy, sexy and dark costume drama and wind up with a torpid, flat chronicle of a selfish playboy with a bad attitude.
While Pattinson struggles to stretch, Christina Ricci, Uma Thurman and Kristin Scott Thomas simply try to find something interesting to do as the women he uses and abuses. Despite the thinly drawn characterizations and murky motivations in Rachel Bennette's screenplay, Ricci and Thurman do score a few effective moments of screen time: Ricci as a cheerfully lusty pleasure-seeker who would happily support Duroy as her extramarital lover, if only he'd remain faithful to her, and Thurman as a society woman who rebuffs Duroy's advances even as she aids his career as a journalist, until her own husband dies. As for Scott Thomas, I have no idea what she's doing in this movie playing the meekest and least complex of Duroy's lovers and I'm not sure she does either.
You can't blame Pattinson for all of "Bel Ami's" failings -- there's nothing inspired enough in the filmmaking or the supporting performances to suggest a different lead would've dramatically improved the overall product -- but as the star expected to bring people to the film he's the one in the hot seat. As an actor trying to take the opportunities "Twilight" gave him and build a lasting career, he's going to need to start making better choices, fast.
"Bel Ami" is currently available via video on demand and opens in limited release on June 8
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
8 days ago
27 days ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll