'Bates Motel' teasers conjure up that 'Psycho' feeling
A&E series will act as a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 classic
Alfred Hitchcock's landmark 1960 horror film "Psycho" is everywhere you look these days.
The new film biopic "Hitchcock" explores the filmmaker's life during the making of the film, and now A&E have revealed the first two teasers for "Bates Motel," a prequel series to "Psycho."
"Motel," of which the cable network has already ordered 10 episodes, begins with Norman Bates ("Finding Neverland's" Freddie Highmore) as a teenager who moves into a spooky old motel with his domineering mother Norma (Oscar nominee Vera Farmiga). Uncomfortable psychological issues -- and murder -- ensue, allowing viewers to discover how Norman became the unhinged madmen in the 1960 film.
The David Lynch-esque first teaser displays one of the creepiest sinks of all-time:
Teaser No. 2 is ever hotter:
In less than 30 combined seconds of homicidal imagery and disturbing music you can see that "Bates Motel" will probably scare the wigs off of a lot of viewers -- but will it hold a candle to Hitch's disturbing B&W psychological horror?
Carlton Cuse ("Lost") and Kerry Ehrin ("Friday Night Lights") are executive producing the show. It also stars Max Thieriot, Keegan Connor Tracy and Mike Vogel.
Note that in 1987 NBC attempted a "Psycho" spin-off also titled "Bates Motel," with a pilot that took place after the original film. Meanwhile, 1990's "Psycho IV: The Beginning" also explores Norman's (Anthony Perkins) childhood through flashbacks. "Bates Motel" will, presumably, have nothing to do with either of those efforts.
"Bates Motel" will air sometime in 2013 on A&E.
Are you excited for "Bates Motel"? Or should "Psycho" just be left alone?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first