'Bates Motel' teasers conjure up that 'Psycho' feeling
A&E series will act as a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 classic
Alfred Hitchcock's landmark 1960 horror film "Psycho" is everywhere you look these days.
The new film biopic "Hitchcock" explores the filmmaker's life during the making of the film, and now A&E have revealed the first two teasers for "Bates Motel," a prequel series to "Psycho."
"Motel," of which the cable network has already ordered 10 episodes, begins with Norman Bates ("Finding Neverland's" Freddie Highmore) as a teenager who moves into a spooky old motel with his domineering mother Norma (Oscar nominee Vera Farmiga). Uncomfortable psychological issues -- and murder -- ensue, allowing viewers to discover how Norman became the unhinged madmen in the 1960 film.
The David Lynch-esque first teaser displays one of the creepiest sinks of all-time:
Teaser No. 2 is ever hotter:
In less than 30 combined seconds of homicidal imagery and disturbing music you can see that "Bates Motel" will probably scare the wigs off of a lot of viewers -- but will it hold a candle to Hitch's disturbing B&W psychological horror?
Carlton Cuse ("Lost") and Kerry Ehrin ("Friday Night Lights") are executive producing the show. It also stars Max Thieriot, Keegan Connor Tracy and Mike Vogel.
Note that in 1987 NBC attempted a "Psycho" spin-off also titled "Bates Motel," with a pilot that took place after the original film. Meanwhile, 1990's "Psycho IV: The Beginning" also explores Norman's (Anthony Perkins) childhood through flashbacks. "Bates Motel" will, presumably, have nothing to do with either of those efforts.
"Bates Motel" will air sometime in 2013 on A&E.
Are you excited for "Bates Motel"? Or should "Psycho" just be left alone?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'