'Avatar 2' won't be ready until at least 2015 says James Cameron
Highly-anticipated sequel still in the scripting stages
Though franchise producer John Landau previously predicted that audiences wouldn't be seeing an "Avatar 2" until at least 2015, James Cameron has now seemingly confirmed it in a recent New York Times profile.
"The 'Avatar' sequels, Mr. Cameron said, will almost certainly be shot in Mr. Jackson’s Wellington production studio, about 15 minutes by helicopter from Pounui," writes the newspaper of Cameron's plans to base the production in New Zealand, which "Hobbit" director Peter Jackson has almost single-handedly transformed into a go-to destination for filmmakers. "Visual effects will be completed at nearby Weta Digital, owned by Mr. Jackson and his partners, though motion-capture work on the 'Avatar' sequels will still be done on a stage in California. 'Avatar 2' will not be ready until 2015 or later, at least a year past the 2014 date Fox executives once had in mind."
James Cameron filming 3 'Avatar' sequels back-to-back-to-back, says Sigourney Weaver
Production to begin this fall, according to the actress
One Thing I Love Today: James Cameron, world explorer
The director of 'Avatar' set a deep-sea dive record this week. What can't he do?
Pounui, in case you were wondering, is a New Zealand town near which Cameron has (controversially) spent an estimated $16 million buying up 2,500 acres of farmland that will double as Pandora in the upcoming sequels, at least two of which Cameron will allegedly be shooting back-to-back (the potential for a third sequel has been teased but not yet confirmed by the filmmaker). As noted above, the motion-capture (often referred to as "performance capture") work so integral to the films will still be shot on a California soundstage, as it was for the first movie.
Nevertheless, don't expect production to ramp up anytime in the near future, as Cameron is still in the scripting stages - though he does plan on relocating to Pounui with his family this fall to get them acclimated to what will become their new home for at least part of the year.
Peter Jackson, for his part, is just happy to have some of the pressure off - with Cameron around to hold down the fort, he insinuates, maybe he can actually relax for awhile after completing production on what he recently confirmed as his trilogy of "Hobbit" films.
“Maybe I can go wander off on a beach somewhere now,” he told the Times with a smile (we'll assume he was joking). Indeed, is it even rational to suggest that Peter Jackson of all people would lie around dormant while his fellow director establishes his own massive filmmaking operation in his home country? According to Cameron, he needn't worry.
“I’m not there to compete with Peter," he said.
How do you feel about having to wait until at least 2015 for "Avatar 2"? Sound off with your thoughts in the comments!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
3 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher in $10M Tug of War 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier': Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie Spotted in D.C. (VIDEO) Katie Holmes Attracts the Wrong Kind of Attention on 'Mania Days' Set
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts