'Annie' remake: Will Smith's daughter Willow out, director Will Gluck in
Jay-Z's movie company Marcy Media still on board
The forthcoming, modern-day movie remake of "Annie" had an announced loss and a gain today. In a statement released today, it has been revealed that Will Smith's daughter and Roc Nation recording artist Willow is out in the title role, but a director has at least been selected for the film, which is slated to begin shooting this fall.
Will Gluck, who helmed "Friends with Benefits" and Emma Stone vehicle "Easy A," is on to head up the screen musical. Overbrook Entertainment -- led by Will Smith, wife Jada Pinkett Smith and James Lassiter -- is still producing along with Marcy Media, which is Jay-Z's new film company.
"After seeing firsthand his work on several films for Sony, including Easy A and Friends with Benefits, we’re huge fans of Will Gluck," said Sony’s Doug Belgrad and Hannah Minghella. "At the helm of 'Annie,' he will bring to this film all the charm of the original Broadway production while also appealing to a new generation."
Gluck will again revise the script, which was written at first by Emma Thompson and then rewritten by Aline Brosh McKenna.
Willow, now 12, outgrew her casting as Annie since the film project was formally announced in January 2011. Her deletion from the marquee could be a loss for Jay-Z, too, considering Roc Nation is his label and would benefit from their star leading the film.
Still, Jay-Z will be on-hand for the formation and execution of the musical reimagining.
"For Marcy Media’s first foray into film, we couldn’t ask for better partners and mentors than Overbrook Entertainment. We are excited to work with Will Gluck and Sony Pictures Entertainment," Jay-Z aka Shawn Carter said. "My well-known affinity for the classic 'Hard Knock Life' makes Annie a natural vehicle to lead us into the world of the cinema."
News From Our Partners
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Beyonce Gets Emotional Onstage in Belgium [Video] Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best?
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!