Adele, Shirley Bassey, and Barbra Streisand see post-Oscar sales bumps
'Les Miz,' 'Chicago' and 'Dreamgirls' also see boosts
Adele is taking more than an Oscar home from Feb. 24’s Academy Awards ceremony. The winner for best original song for “Skyfall” will also see a big sales increase on Billboard’s digital download chart.
Billboard predicts that the James Bond theme could soar 45% in sales over last week, when it sold 36,000 copies.
Adele isn’t the only Bond girl to see a nice bounce: Shirley Bassey, who deservedly earned a standing ovation from the audience for her performance of “Goldfinger,” will also see a huge increase in sales, with as much as a 275% increase in downloads for a tally up to 2000 copies.
Though never a singer of a Bond theme song (how did that happen?), Barbra Streisand’s theme from another classic movie, “The Way We Were,” will also see a rise, perhaps as high as 175%, following her performance of the tune during the In Memoriam segment of the evening. She sang in honor of the song’s co-writer and her close friend, Marvin Hamlisch, who died on Aug. 6.
Also seeing increases are the soundtracks from “Les Miserables,” “Chicago” and “Dreamgirls,” all of whom had featured songs performed during the show.
While some of the increases will be immediately apparent on the charts released tomorrow (Feb. 26), given that the charts close on Sunday night, some of the titles could see even bigger bumps the following week.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
Watch the Foo Fighters' hilarious speech now before it airs on HBOThursday, May 16, 2013
Phoenix is also on soundtrack for Sofia Coppola-directed filmThursday, May 16, 2013
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013