A guide to the top 2013 Oscar musical performances
Other than Adele and Babs, who should you look out for on Sunday night?
After ignoring last year's two nominees for best original song, this Sunday’s 85th Annual Oscar ceremony looks like it will be overloaded with musical performances. In addition to Adele and Barbra Streisand, here's a guide to whom else you should look out for as of three days before the big show.
*Adele: The multiple Grammy winner will perform her Oscar-nominated tune “Skyfall” from the James Bond movie of the same name. The Academy Awards are planning a 50th anniversary salute to 007 so Adele’s performance will be a part of that and will also include Shirley Bassey, best known for singing Bond themes “Goldfinger” and “Diamonds Are Forever.” How awesome would it be if Carly Simon, Paul McCartney, Sheena Easton and Duran Duran also showed up?
*Norah Jones: She will sing nominated son, “Everybody Needs a Best Friend” from “Ted,” co-written by Oscar host Seth McFarlane.
*Jennifer Hudson and Catherine Zeta-Jones will be among the artists participating in a tribute to recent movie musicals, “Dreamgirls,” “Chicago” and “Les Miserables.” Also confirmed for the tribute is the cast of “Les Miserables,” including Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Hugh Jackman and Amanda Seyfried, so expect Jackman to break into Oscar-nominated song “Suddenly” at some point.
*Barbra Streisand: Just as you don’t put Baby in a corner, you don’t put Streisand in a medley with other artists. While producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan are keeping mum on how Streisand, who is singing on the show for the first time in 36 years, will participate, the pair told The Hollywood Reporter, “Streisand is going to come on and do something really special and blow people away.”
*Kristen Chenoweth and Seth McFarlane: As my colleague Guy Tapley previously reported, instead of ending the show with the presentation of the Oscar for best picture, the Academy Awards will close with a musical number by McFarlane and Chenoweth because, as producers Meron and Zadan told The Hollywood Reporter, “We want to have an actual ending.” Sadly, the sound of their singing may be drowned out by the sounds of people clicking their televisions off, no matter how amusing or clever the final song may be.
*As of now, there’s still no word on how nominated songs, “Before My Time” from “Chasing Ice” or “Pi’s Lullaby” from “Life of Pi” will be represented.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
Where does Mariah Carey's '#Beautiful' #debut?Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Rappers will appear with Bone Thugs N Harmony and Wu-Tang ClanWednesday, May 15, 2013
'They Don't Know' featured on next album, 'X'Wednesday, May 15, 2013
'X Factor' judge's material doesn't always match her strong pipesTuesday, May 14, 2013