6 reasons to return to Middle Earth in 'The Hobbit': Watch
Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves battle goblins, orcs and wargs in new clips
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," the long-awaited first film in Peter Jackson's adaption of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic novel is hitting screens in just a few days. While the film will offer plenty of new things to look at, "The Hobbit" will also bring back a number of beloved elements from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, as seen in these 6 brand new clips.
Martin Freeman stars as Bilbo Baggins, at the title hero who is joined by dwarves, wizards and more on a quest to recover treasure from the mighty dragon Smaug. Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett and others return to reprise their "Lord of the Rings" roles, while Richard Armitage joins the franchise as the dwarf warrior Thorin Oakenshield.
1. That Jackson/WETA magic is back (above)
The director's talent for eye-popping, breathless action returns here with a combination of CG and practical effects courtesy of WETA. The fellowship battle a bevy of goblin in this subterranean action clip worthy of the "Indiana Jones" saga. There's even a Wilhelm Scream in there.
2. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey
In many ways the glue which held the "LOTR" trilogy together, McKellen's return was absolutely essential for the new films. As seen below, no one can deliver a dressing down -- or a desperate warning -- better than the "X-Men" vet.
3. The Middle Earth mythology will be further enriched
Jackson and his co-writers continue to honor the source material's dense, seemingly endless mythology. New lands, characters and creatures will be introduced. Even swords have names in Tolkien. In this clip, Elrond (Hugo Weaving) displays a treasured Goblin cleaver, as Bilbo feels a little sword envy.
4. Martin Freeman is Bilbo
Known for TV work like "The Office" and "Sherlock," Freeman has always been a dependably funny chap who's time to shine has come with "The Hobbit." His deadpan reactions and nice guy appeal work perfectly in this scene, in which Bilbo looks over the adventure contract. "Incineration?!"
5. New friends
Among the new faces which Bilbo (and the audience) will get to know are 13 dwarves, introduced here:
6. Gollum is back
Although he'll be playing a much smaller role in this trilogy, the pitiful creature who watches over "the precious" will be a welcome sight for fans.
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" opens December 14.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead