5 Things You Should Know about Kongos' 'Come With Me Now'
We know you’ve heard it: Kongos’ “Come With Me Now” is zooming up the chart: it’s No. 1 on Billboard’s Alternative Songs chart and is the latest hit to come out of nowhere. The infectious stomp, anchored by an accordion and a deep, opening growl of a voice, sounds like nothing else on the radio right now. It’s part novelty, part metal, part dreamscape, reminiscent of Paul SImon’s “Boy in the Bubble,” and yet it’s its own thing.
Five things you should know about Kongos and “Come With Me Now”:
1. Like Kings of Leon, they are a family act. Kongos are four brothers, Johnny, Jesse, Dylan, and Daniel, whose last name really is Kongos. Though they now live in Arizona, they are from South Africa and their dad is singer/songwriter John Kongos.
2. Come With Me Now” is the fastest-climbing song by a debut act on Billboard’s Alternative Songs chart since Lorde’s “Royals”… and we all see how she’s fared. In terms of debut bands, it's the fastest-rising No. 1 since Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life" in 2003.
3. The song came out in 2012 in South Africa. The band then spent 18 months in the U.S. trying to break here to no avail, until a Denver radio station started spinning the song in January. From there, the song picked up speed. Epic Records then signed the band and put out its previously self-released album, “Lunatic.”
4. The group will make its US festival appearance at Lollapalooza in August. It has previously opened for Imagine Dragons and Airborne Toxic Event.
5. ”Come With Me Now” was influenced by Kwaito, a style of South African music that Dylan Kongos described as “a slowed-down version of house music [that has] an African flavor to it with accordion along with electronic beats,” to artistdirect.com
*Not surprisingly, Kongos cite Paul Simon as an inspiration, as well as Jackson Browne.
2013 | Comedy | NRSummary: Insanely funny comedy show created by Amy Schumer, who stars in brilliantly funny sketches about sex, city living, dating, and friendship.Director: Daniel Powell, Amy Schumer (creators)
Cast: Amy Schumer, Kevin Kane, Mike Houston
1997 | Crime | RSummary: Quentin Tarantino adaptats an Elmore Leonard novel into this story of a few increasingly desperate people scraping to get by. It has deep soul, a wicked sense of humor, and Samuel L. Jackson, Robert De Niro, Pam Grier, and Robert Forster.Director: Quentin Tarantino
Cast: Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster
2008 | Science Fiction | PGSummary: Animated series continues the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as they battle the Emperor Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous, but also takes time to explore other smaller characters in the Star Wars universe.Director: George Lucas (creator)
Cast: Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter
2013 | Thriller | RSummary: Based on the true story of Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) a Miami bodybuilder who wants to live the American dream. He would like to have the money that other people have. So he enlists the help of fellow bodybuilder Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) and ex-convict, Christian bodybuilder Paul Doyle (D...Director: Michael Bay
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie, Tony Shalhoub
2007 | Comedy | PGSummary: Newlyweds Nick (Ice Cube) and Suzanne (Long) decide to move to the suburbs to provide a better life for their two kids. But their idea of a dream home is disturbed by a contractor (McGinley) with a bizarre approach to business.Director: Steve Carr
Cast: John C. McGinley, Ice Cube, Nia Long, Aleisha Allen
2013 | Drama | RSummary: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill have boundless energy in the story of a real-life commodities crook who earned millions through scummy small-time stock trades.Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie
1996 | Crime | RSummary: Jerry, a small-town Minnesota car salesman is bursting at the seams with debt... but he's got a plan. He's going to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife in a scheme to collect a hefty ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. It's going to be a snap and nobody's going to get hurt... until people start ...Director: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Cast: William H. Macy, Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare
1995 | Mystery | NRSummary: Denzel Washington plays an out of work WWII vet who takes the wrong job and is soon neck-deep in a mess of politics, murder, and jazz in '40s Los Angeles.Director: Carl Franklin
Cast: Denzel Washington, Tom Sizemore, Jennifer Beals
1993 | Sports | PGSummary: Emotionally powerful sports classic featuring Sean Astin as a skinny high school kid with big football dreams and the determination to make his way towards his dream team at Notre Dame.Director: David Anspaugh
Cast: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau, Ned Beatty
Let Streaming Genie help you.