2012 Emmy nominees offer tips on conquering pre-show jitters
Zooey Deschanel, Amy Poehler and others prescribe booze, pills, music and more
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attending the Emmy Awards as a nominee is the kind of heady experience that sends even veteran actors' and show-runners' tummies aflutter. But, of course, the show must go on.
Stars say they turn to booze, tunes and deep breaths to prepare for such moments. Here's what some of this year's nominees would prescribe for a case of Emmy-day nerves:
— "Oh, gosh. Maybe some vodka. A flask of vodka, I think. Don't you think? Oh, absolutely. Maybe a Quaalude. Perfect. There you go." — Jesse Tyler Ferguson of "Modern Family."
— "Oh, you mean pharmaceutically? Hmm. Baby aspirin. Baby aspirin and maybe just like a small children's pool of sangria." — Amy Poehler of "Parks and Recreation."
— "Champagne always makes a person happy. At least a bottle. Yeah. For myself." — Maya Rudolph, nominated for hosting "Saturday Night Live."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
— "Music. Music. I'm going to vote for either Adele's '21' or Decemberists' 'The King is Dead.' Music soothes the savage beast." — Mayim Bialik of "The Big Bang Theory."
— "You know, I'm not picky. I'm really not picky. I say ... My mother always taught me that any white wine gets better over ice. And when you're (drinking) it in large quantities, it's not a bad thing to water it down." — Julie Bowen of "Modern Family."
— "You know, actors, the thing is, we're used to getting nervous. That's sort of our thing. You get nervous and you know how to get through it. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to go on stage or shoot. So, I think we're pretty good at dealing with nerves. I would say if I'm nervous, I would just drink a glass of water and take a deep breath." — Zooey Deschanel of "New Girl."
— "A really dry, I mean a really buttery, oaky Chardonnay. And some more mascara." — Jean Smart, nominated for her guest-starring role in "Harry's Law."
— "A case of presence. Yes. Not 'presents.' Presence. Yes, we want to bring ourselves into the present moment and say, 'Hey! Look at this. Look what's happening. Let's be grateful for this moment and take it all in.' You know what I mean?" — Max Greenfield, nominated for "New Girl."
AP Entertainment writer Mike Cidoni Lennox contributed to this report.
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 months ago
8 months ago
|Discuss TV General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season