2012 Emmy nominees offer tips on conquering pre-show jitters
Zooey Deschanel, Amy Poehler and others prescribe booze, pills, music and more
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attending the Emmy Awards as a nominee is the kind of heady experience that sends even veteran actors' and show-runners' tummies aflutter. But, of course, the show must go on.
Stars say they turn to booze, tunes and deep breaths to prepare for such moments. Here's what some of this year's nominees would prescribe for a case of Emmy-day nerves:
— "Oh, gosh. Maybe some vodka. A flask of vodka, I think. Don't you think? Oh, absolutely. Maybe a Quaalude. Perfect. There you go." — Jesse Tyler Ferguson of "Modern Family."
— "Oh, you mean pharmaceutically? Hmm. Baby aspirin. Baby aspirin and maybe just like a small children's pool of sangria." — Amy Poehler of "Parks and Recreation."
— "Champagne always makes a person happy. At least a bottle. Yeah. For myself." — Maya Rudolph, nominated for hosting "Saturday Night Live."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
— "Music. Music. I'm going to vote for either Adele's '21' or Decemberists' 'The King is Dead.' Music soothes the savage beast." — Mayim Bialik of "The Big Bang Theory."
— "You know, I'm not picky. I'm really not picky. I say ... My mother always taught me that any white wine gets better over ice. And when you're (drinking) it in large quantities, it's not a bad thing to water it down." — Julie Bowen of "Modern Family."
— "You know, actors, the thing is, we're used to getting nervous. That's sort of our thing. You get nervous and you know how to get through it. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to go on stage or shoot. So, I think we're pretty good at dealing with nerves. I would say if I'm nervous, I would just drink a glass of water and take a deep breath." — Zooey Deschanel of "New Girl."
— "A really dry, I mean a really buttery, oaky Chardonnay. And some more mascara." — Jean Smart, nominated for her guest-starring role in "Harry's Law."
— "A case of presence. Yes. Not 'presents.' Presence. Yes, we want to bring ourselves into the present moment and say, 'Hey! Look at this. Look what's happening. Let's be grateful for this moment and take it all in.' You know what I mean?" — Max Greenfield, nominated for "New Girl."
AP Entertainment writer Mike Cidoni Lennox contributed to this report.
Copyright (2012) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
5 months ago
8 months ago
|Discuss TV General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)