10 dream directors to replace George Lucas on 'Star Wars: Episode 7'
Blomkamp, Bird, Cuaron, Del Toro and more
You're not dreaming. "Star Wars" is returning to the big screen. There is a studio (Walt Disney Studios), presumed producers (Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas), an original storyline (or so initial reports say) and a tentative release date (summer 2015). What "Star Wars: Episode 7" doesn't have, however, is a director (although considering how quiet Disney kept details of the Lucasfilm sale, anything is possible).
There are two directions Disney will go down when selecting someone to begin a new "Star Wars" trilogy. 1. They will pick a relatively unknown or up and coming studio filmmaker who will follow the strict directions of the producers and the studio. 2. A well known "name" filmmaker will step up to bring "Star Wars" effectively into the 21st Century and introduce the franchise to a whole new generation. If it's the latter, movie fans need to realize some of their favorite filmmakers probably wouldn't be the right person to make a new "Star Wars" film. Quentin Tarantino, Darren Aronofsky, Nicolas Winding Refn, Ang Lee, Kathryn Bigelow are all great filmmakers, but is a new "Star Wars" flick really the best use of their talents? James Cameron and Peter Jackson have already etched their names in cinema history. Something tells us taking over "Star Wars" probably isn't something they deem necessary for their considerable legacies.
With that in mind, both myself and Drew McWeeny have selected five different filmmakers we'd love to see take the reins of "Star Wars: Episode 7." And yes, this is a "dream" list, but each selection could legitimately secure the gig. Your can review the contenders in the embeddable story gallery below.
Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock