Watch: Woody Harrelson discusses playing crazy in 'Seven Psychopaths'
A quick chat with an actor who can play both charming and deadly with ease
"Seven Psychopaths" is one of those films that you can't fully sum up just by describing the plot or the characters, because it seems like it's playing a lot of games with the viewer at all times.
Taken just on the surface, as a plot-driven comedy, it's fun. In my review of the film from the Toronto Film Festival, where it played as part of the Midnight Madness section, I talked about how it also serves as an "Adaptation"-style deconstruction of the creative process. That's a hard thing to sell to an audience, though, and it's basically just the gravy. If the film didn't work as a character comedy first, it wouldn't work at all, and thanks to both the sharp writing and the dizzyingly funny performances, it absolutely works on that level.
I was recently re-watching episodes of "Cheers" on Netflix for the first time in what must be 20 years years, and I was struck anew by just how sharp and polished a comic performer Harrelson was from the moment we were introduced to him on that show. He had the unenviable task of replacing the beloved Nicholas Colasanto who played "Coach" on the show, and it's a testament to just how charming Harrelson is that he managed the feat with almost no kickback from fans at all. He ended up appearing in over 200 episodes, more than twice as many as Coach, and by the time the series wrapped up, it would have been easy for Harrelson to settle into a long career of playing amiable dopes, something Hollywood would have been happy to accommodate.
When he starred in "Natural Born Killers," it changed everything for him, and it became suddenly clear that Harrelson was capable of far more than just joking. The violence that he tapped into in the role is one of those things you can't completely fake. Either you have that capacity as a performer or you don't, and Harrelson has been able to tap into that side of himself repeatedly over the years, to impressive effect. What I love about his role in "Seven Psychopaths" is that it seems to give him room to indulge both sides of his personality. He is both very funny and truly menacing, and in a film packed with scene-stealing performances, Harrelson more than holds his own.
We'll have more interviews with the cast this week. "Seven Psychopaths" opens in theaters tomorrow.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
18 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013