Rachel Weisz brings the brains and the beauty to 'The Bourne Legacy'
What if even your good guys in a film aren't that good?
Rachel Weisz was my second interview of the day at the recent press event for "The Bourne Legacy," right after I talked to Jeremy Renner, and when we walked in, she spotted my seven-year-old son Toshi, who was with me.
She said hello to him, and he smiled, more shy than normal. I told her that he was probably just recovering from how excited he was to meet Renner. Toshi was even wearing his "Avengers" t-shirt.
She nodded. "Of course," she said. "He's a superhero, after all. I can't compete with that. I'm just a weird lady in a leather dress."
Toshi might not understand the appeal of Weisz, but I was certainly pleased to sit down and chat with her again. The last time I saw her was in Montreal on the set of "The Fountain," and that encounter was a brief one because of how emotionally demanding that shoot was for both her and Hugh Jackman.
She's an important part of the puzzle in "The Bourne Legacy," one of the most sympathetic characters in the film. Even so, there's still plenty of grey in the characterization, and it's interesting to see how likable she makes this morally compromised scientist who has been happily hiding her head in the sand until the undeniable end result of her work shows up in her apartment, desperate for her help.
She and Renner have strong chemistry in the film, and it's nice to see that it's not played as pure romance. Instead, there's a tension between them that has to do with their situation, and I love the way they play off each other. Talking to her about a film like this, which is so different than what we normally see from her, I'm struck anew by how well she's able to ground the characters she plays. There's something approachable and centered about her that almost makes it possible to forget she's so stunningly beautiful.
"The Bourne Legacy" opens this Friday in theaters everywhere.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
16 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013