Watch: Film Nerd 2.0 revs up for a big October with two special 'E.T.' videos
Universal finds a great way to promote the upcoming Blu-ray of Speilberg's classic
Toshi saw "E.T." when he was too young to process it.
I wasn't the one who showed it to him. It was while he was away in Argentina with his mom for six months. There were only six movies at the house where they were staying, and "E.T." dubbed into Spanish was one of them. And during that six months, while he was going nuts from lack of things to watch, "E.T." became a mainstay. My wife says it must have been played at least 20 times, but this summer, when we were talking about the film, I realized that he remembers none of it.
Allen also felt like he had a handle on the film, and when I asked him what he knew about the movie, he told me, "That's the movie about the guy who is from outer space and he poops candy." I feel like that's not entirely accurate.
The Blu-ray showed up here at the house between my trips to Toronto and Austin, and both of the boys were eager to see the movie again. We haven't done that yet, but it's on the agenda for October. In the meantime, while I was gone on my second trip, Universal invited us to participate in a special "E.T." press day, and I talked to my wife about her taking the boys since I wouldn't be back in time.
Today, we've got the videos from that press day. The first is embedded at the top of this story, and it features Toshi saying good-bye to E.T. Then below, you'll see Allen in the same scene. Since they haven't seen the film yet, I don't think they fully understood what they were supposed to do, but the videos came out really well anyway. I love that after they've seen the film, we're going to be able to look at these videos again and they're going to mean something totally different to them.
There are a lot of Film Nerd articles coming this month. We've got a very special one on Friday, which is Global Bond Day, a celebration of James Bond worldwide, and I've got a special horror-themed Film Nerd on the way as well. We've also finally finished the "Back To The Future" series, and I can't wait to share that experience with you. All that plus "E.T." as well? What a great month there is ahead. Consider these videos just a tease of what we've got coming soon.
In the meantime, you can take a look at the earlier Film Nerd 2.0 pieces:
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
News From Our Partners
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013
Plus we look back at a more spirited encounter with the comic actorThursday, May 16, 2013
The Channing Tatum/Mila Kunis science-fiction action movie is shooting nowThursday, May 16, 2013
Hollywood's busiest alien spends a little more time with StarfleetThursday, May 16, 2013