Watch: Emma Watson and Stephen Chbosky charm while discussing 'Perks Of Being A Wallflower'
One of the new film's stars and the writer/director sit together for a talk about their movie
It wasn't really possible to predict while the "Harry Potter" film series was in full swing, but now that I've seen "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower," I'm prepared to call it. Emma Watson is going to have a long and successful career as an actor if that's what she chooses to pursue. She may not be the star of this film, but when she's onscreen, she's incandescent, and she does such delicate character work in scene after scene that I think it's apparent she has more than just Hermione to offer audiences.
Adapting a novel to the screen can be very tricky, especially when it's something very personal. Stephen Chbosky may have written the much-loved novel, but that doesn't automatically mean he's the right guy to direct the movie. Thankfully, he turns out to be quite a director, and the result is a movie that I think people are going to fall madly in love with. It's much smarter than the average teen film, and it does a remarkable job of evoking a specific time and place.
When I sat down at Toronto with cast and crew from this one, I had no idea that they would be paired in this particular way. Once I learned that Emma Watson was in the film, I was curious about how she's going to do in films in the future, and it sounds to me like Chbosky's a believer now. I've heard some chatter from fans of the book who don't like the casting, but if Chbosky think she's the right person to play Sam, I'm not going to argue with him.
Beyond her talent onscreen, you've got to give it up for the way she's managed her life while making the jump from child actor to actor, and I think it's a minor miracle that all three of the central "Harry Potter" kids have turned out normal and sweet and genuinely good in front of the camera. They've come a long way since they first encountered the Sorting Hat, and I am excited to see where Chbosky goes from here.
"The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" is open in limited release now.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013