Watch: Edward Norton on building a better bad guy for 'The Bourne Legacy'
Could he return for another 'Bourne' movie in the future?
When Edward Norton signs on to play the bad guy in a movie, it's a safe bet he won't just be playing a simple, easily-defined black-and-white villain.
That's doubly true when he's joining the "Bourne" series that has become one of the few reliable alternatives to Bond for fans of smart popcorn spy movies. The latest entry, "The Bourne Legacy," is an attempt to extend the life of the series past the departure of Matt Damon, who has been the star of the first three films. My review will be up later this week, but it's safe to say the new film absolutely feels like part of the same world and the same narrative, and Eric Byer, the shadowy government figure who Norton plays in the film, is a perfect addition to the roster of middle-management government types who have peopled these films so far.
Norton is rarely just a gun for hire, instead signing on to films as a serious collaborator, someone who's going to want to dig into the text and see what can be done to elevate the material every single time. It's an approach that might make some people hesitate, but the filmmakers who embrace the approach tend to get great work from him, and it sounds like Tony Gilroy was absolutely up for the back-and-forth.
What's interesting about the new film is how they seem to have reached this point where it's hard to call anyone in the film a "good guy" or a "bad guy." Gilroy created very clear motivations for everyone, and certainly we follow Renner's character, Aaron Cross, as he attempts to stay alive when the plug is pulled on the program that created him. But Byer's not some monster who looks forward to killing anyone. He is part of this shadowy world of espionage and high-tech, where secrets are currency and where the ends justify the means. As a result, this is a film about the way secrets are kept and the price of keeping them, and it expands the world of the series without closing the door on any of the options they have for the future. It's also interesting to see a film like this where the main antagonist doesn't play any scenes with the protagonist except for a flashback.
I certainly hope "The Bourne Legacy" does well enough for this same crew to come back and make another one because I feel like there are plenty of questions left after this film, and because it's not really over until Aaron Cross ends up face to face with Eric Byer.
"The Bourne Legacy" opens everywhere on Friday.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013