Watch: Bradley Cooper talks about adapting the science-fiction classic 'Hyperion'
The 'Hangover' star doesn't think of himself as a writer
It is fitting that Bradley Cooper plays a writer in his new film "The Words."
To be more specific, he plays a frustrated writer, a man whose attempts to break into the world of publishing are met with indifference until he stumbles across a long-lost manuscript, known to nobody, and decides to claim it as his own. He ends up winning acclaim for the piece and falling into a life that he doesn't earn, even as the real author of the piece stumbles across his own words, finally in print after having disappeared for almost a half-century.
It's a really nice performance by Cooper, but these days, he's not pretending to be a writer. He's doing it. He's working on adapting the Dan Simmons novel "Hyperion" into a film, something that's been frustrating filmmakers for a while now.
When I sat down with Cooper and Brian Klugman, one of the writer/directors of the movie, I didn't intend to bring up the project, but it seemed like a natural progression in the conversation, and I was curious to see what he had to say about the state of the script right now.
I find it sort of disarming that he deflected the question mainly by claiming that he's not a writer. As far as I'm concerned, if you write, you're a writer, and Cooper's got a hell of a challenge ahead. If you haven't read "Hyperion," it's hard to explain in a short succinct sound bite. It's heady science-fiction about travelers to another planet who all have secrets, stories that explain why they're on this particular pilgrimage to this particular place, and the way the stories are teased out and explained is both intellectually satisfying and emotionally devastating. Dan Simmons is one of those guys who might just defy adaptation to film simply because of how dense and rich his fiction is. I can't imagine a film version of "The Terror" that would work, and even with Guillermo Del Toro interested, I have to think "Drood" is going to remain a lovely "what if?" at best.
For now, check out what Cooper had to say about the project, and we'll have more of that interview a little later this week.
"The Words" opens in theaters this Friday.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013