'The East' gets set for closing night in last round of SXSW 2013 announcements
Plus Danny Boyle, Joss Whedon, Harmony Korine and more sign up for Q&As
I don't know how they do it.
I am impressed each year by each of the festivals I attend because of the sheer scale of the enterprise. Sundance is this crazy sprint in the snow where way too many people descend on a fairly tiny little ski town to mainline movies. Cannes is this decadent sun-soaked beach party. Toronto is very no-nonsense and stripped down, films and films and more films. And Fantastic Fest is… god, how can you describe Fantastic Fest? It's like a time machine full of midget humanoid rabbits that enter a battle of the bands against a six-headed mutant that shoots saw blades out of its lady parts. But with a lot of booze and barbecue.
SXSW, though, has to be one of the most complex assemblages of moving parts that I have ever witnessed. In addition to the crazy crazy crazy of the film festival, there's the crazy crazy crazy of the music festival, and the Interactive side of things has blown up and now the comedy side of things also appears to be blowing up, and it's so much energy and so many interests all jammed into one big elaborate thing now. The last batch of titles and the full schedule were released today, and it's looking like it's going to be a sensation year for them.
I did not get a chance to see "The East" when it played Sundance, but now I can count on seeing it at the closing night movie slot. I don't think I said nearly enough about "Sound Of My Voice," the first film from Zal Batmanglij, but I really like that film. I love the shell game he plays on the audience, and I think it's a very strong focused film overall. I'm excited to see this new one as my last gasp of the fest.
They've also added more Q&A sessions with directors like Danny Boyle, Rob Zombie, and Harmony Korine, and there's a special event for Don Hertzfeldt's highly-acclaimed "It's Such A Beautiful Day," which I still haven't' seen. Joss Whedon's going to bring his cast to do a panel conversation about "Much Ado About Nothing," which sounds like great fun. I really liked what he did with it, and I'm sure this will be great fun.
Here's where you can read all the details.
SXSW runs from March 8 to March 16, so check here at HitFix for our full coverage.
News From Our Partners
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013