Sacha Baron Cohen sets up a James Bond style comedy with Paramount
The comic actor moves further from his 'Borat' and 'Bruno' background
Sacha Baron Cohen is facing a real turning point in his career, and it will be interesting to see how things progress.
The joy of discovering his early work was due at least in part to the feeling that you were in on a secret. Watching Ali G or Borat or Bruno interact with real people was amazing because of how seriously people took these insane creations of his. Even when "Borat" arrived in theaters, there was still a sense that something deranged was happening, something that was amazing to witness.
The one problem with that kind of humor is that a performer can only keep up that kind of ruse as long as he's not famous. The moment people start to recognize you, it's impossible for you to interact with the real world, and Sacha Baron Cohen is arguably one of the most recognizable comic performers working today.
I thought "The Dictator" was very funny this summer, but for people who wanted more of the "Borat"/"Bruno" school of gotcha comedy, it seemed less exciting than his earlier work. I think Cohen's got chops as an actor that we've just barely seen demonstrated onscreen, and while he's done nice work in films like "Hugo" and "Sweeney Todd," it still feels like there's more to his talent.
I've heard a lot about the Freddie Mercury film he's been developing, and I wish someone would pull the trigger and make it already. It sounds awesome, and I'm guessing the performance would be something special. He immerses himself so totally in a character when he's working that I think a biopic, especially one of a personality as outsized as Mercury, would be an amazing fit for him.
In the meantime, though, it looks like Paramount has signed him to make his next movie for them, and it's going to be a spy comedy about a James Bond-like super agent who ends up on the run with his long lost soccer hooligan brother. Phil Johnston, who wrote "Cedar Rapids," "Wreck-It Ralph," and Alexander Payne's "Nebraska," which starts shooting soon.
I'm curious to see which spy movies they'll be making fun of in the film. After all, there are many different styles of spy film. James Bond is certainly a big touchstone these days, but the Bourne movies also seem to have helped redefine action movies and I'm guessing that'll be in the mix as well.
We'll see, and in the meantime, "The Dictator" is set to arrive on DVD and Blu-ray on August 21.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
18 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Gay Protest Turns Into Fashion Show What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' Game Of Desks Is HERE!
- One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig Did Justin Bieber Get a Kitten? [Pics]
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Avengers 2′ — Joss Whedon Talks Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD Will Let You Hold It on Your Mobile Device Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013