Roger Avary set to write 'Jesus' for controversial director Paul Verhoeven
If any film could set the world on fire, this could be the one to do it
Paul Verhoeven is determined to make a film about Jesus Christ.
In related news, Paul Verhoeven is determined to get himself shot by someone who can't handle any discussion of Jesus as anything less than the literal Son Of God.
While I love "Robocop" dearly, I am convinced that Paul Verhoeven ruined his career by making that film. Before that, he was an interesting, provocative European director whose sensibilities were resolutely art-house. Anyone who has ever spoken to Verhoeven can testify to his keen intellect and his almost innate desire to push buttons. I think that's the way he attacks any subject. He loves to ask questions because he is fascinated by human behavior, particularly at the polar extremes of good and bad.
His Hollywood career has seemed like one long misuse of his talents, and it's been painful watching him try to turn garbage like "Basic Instinct" or "The Hollow Man" into something worth his time and his skill. At least with "Black Book," it seemed like he was working on material with some weight to it again. It was a huge step in the right direction.
Now, as Hollywood starts the inevitable parade of remakes of his films, with "Total Recall" this summer and "Robocop" next year, Verhoeven seems to be reinventing himself again, and I'm all for it. For years now, he's been talking about wanting to make a movie about the historical Jesus, and according to today's reports, it looks like he's taken one big step closer to making that happen.
Roger Avary is looking to rebuild his career, and I am rooting for him to make it happen. I still maintain that his "Killing Zoe" is one of the great neglected films of the '90s, and his adaptation of "Rules Of Attraction" deserved far better than it got from audiences. Bringing Avary in as a writer is a strong move, and I'm curious to see how he takes Verhoeven's material and turns it into a narrative.
And while I was sort of kidding about Verhoeven and the response to his film at the start of this piece, the truth is that anyone who is allowed to be part of The Jesus Seminar is someone whose scholarly efforts have already been acknowledged and rewarded, and if he does finally get the film made, my bet is that it's going to be focused on creating a dialogue about the nature of Christ and not just looking to ladle on the empty shock.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013
Let's see what sort of boners fall out of Tobias's mouth this timeTuesday, May 21, 2013