Rachel Weisz discusses why she did a rare blockbuster role in 'Oz The Great and Powerful'
The third witch discusses her role in Sam Raimi's newest film
One of the things that is an undeniable pleasure about "Oz The Great and Powerful" is that Sam Raimi ended up casting three beautiful and talented ladies as the witches, and each of them brings a very different energy to the picture.
I've already run my interviews with Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams, and I've saved Rachel Weisz for last. I think Weisz is a classic beauty, and I love the way she's chosen roles over the years. She's not someone who seems like they're busy chasing the perfect career move or the giant blockbuster role. It still seems surreal when I see her show up in something like "The Bourne Legacy" or "Oz" because of how rarely she seems drawn to this type of material.
That was one of the things I discussed with her when we sat down to talk, and I think there's something very appropriate about her playing Evanora, older sister to Kunis's Theodora in the movie. They certainly look like they share a joint heritage, but more than that, I think Weisz has an authority that makes her a convincing choice to rule the kingdom of Oz while waiting for the arrival of the Wizard who is supposed to take the throne. She never telegraphs Evanora's intentions, and even once she begins to reveal her true agenda, she never ends up playing the obvious choice.
The first time I spoke with her was on the set of "The Fountain," and that was not the right atmosphere to have a casual conversation. It was an intense experience, and the sequences we were there for were some of the most harrowing emotional scenes in the film. Watching how completely she threw herself into that role and how willing she was to try anything, I couldn't help but admire her. It's nice to see that she has stayed focused on material that pushes and challenges her, and even when she does decide to go mainstream, she still seems to have an eye for roles that offer her something real to play.
"Oz The Great and Powerful" opens this weekend in theaters everywhere.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development' WATCH: New 'Arrested' Clip You Probably Haven't Seen What Is Up With Rob Lowe's Face? The Actor On His Crazy 'Candelabra' Role
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
And if so, what does his character name suggest for the future?Saturday, May 25, 2013
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013