Paul Giamatti may be The Rhino for 'Amazing Spider-Man' sequel
And Felicity Jones is also preparing to join the cast for part two
Paul Giamatti as The Rhino?
I'll say this for Marc Webb. He's got one hell of a cast put together for "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." At this point, it seems like actors have all decided that everyone does a superhero movie at some point, so why not pick a side (good or evil) and just have fun with it?
Giamatti is a real-deal genre nerd. The first time I was introduced to him was on the set of "Shoot 'Em Up," and it was obvious after a half-hour of conversation that this was a guy with a voracious genre appetite. He's joining a great cast. Obviously you've got Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Sally Field all returning from the first film, and two of the darlings of this year's Sundance Film Festival are joining the cast, since Shailene Woodley has been added as Mary Jane Watson and Dane DeHaan is going to play Harry Osborne.
When we heard Jamie Foxx was coming onboard as Electro, it seemed like he was being set up as the main villain in the film, but honestly, I have no idea how the script shakes out. Giamatti and Foxx are both compelling choices for these villains, and the report today also has Felicity Jones joining the film. That's a lot of characters to juggle, and one of the hardest things about these movies is making sure you don't just overload them with characters who then stand around with nothing to do. My biggest issue with the first "Amazing Spider-Man" was the script, and I'm hoping that this time, Webb has a stronger foundation for this cast he's assembled.
The Rhino, for those unfamiliar with him, is a dude in a giant rhino costume, complete with a huge horn sticking out of the top of his head. It's one of those comic-book bad guy roles that could easily look ridiculous, and I'm excited to see how they bring him into the real world in a way that works.
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is in theaters
News From Our Partners
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013