Listen: James Gunn joins the podcast to discuss 'Lollipop Chainsaw'
Plus the single worst Ray Bradbury tribute you'll ever hear
I promised two podcasts this weekend, and sure enough, we've got two podcasts this weekend.
We don't do a ton of game coverage on the site, primarily because there just isn't enough time for us to do every single thing we'd like at this point. There are moments where film and games are starting to overlap though, and when you've got a guy like James Gunn writing a game that looks as strange and as stylish as "Lollipop Chainsaw," that seems like a good moment to sit down for a conversation about that cross-over in disciplines and how things are starting to get very blurry for people in this business.
Of course, "sitting down together" can be a figure of speech when you're trying to schedule an interview in the middle of an event like E3. I wasn't at the convention center, and on the day I was set to talk to James, I had a company meeting in Century City. At the end of it, the rest of team HitFix took off, and I turned on the recorder, took the call on my cell phone, and did my best to record the ensuing conversation.
The majority of this week's podcast was recorded mid-afternoon, and it was the same day that Ray Bradbury passed away. I want you all to know in advance that I revere Mr. Bradbury and his legacy. I had every intention of paying homage to him during the episode. Unfortunately, Scott Swan is my co-host, and that means that when things go off the rails, they go completely, wildly, unbelievably off the rails, and what started out as a heartfelt and sincere moment turned into… well, you'll hear. My apologies in advance.
We're thinking of doing an all-games edition of the podcast next week. If we do that, I'll send out the word on Twitter early enough that all interested parties should have a chance to play along.
It's been nice getting our rhythms back, but I have a feeling some of what we're going to try to do in the second half of the year is going to be when we really get things going. As always, thanks for listening, and you can find the podcast on iTunes as well as here.
"Lollipop Chainsaw" arrives in stores Tuesday, June 12.
The MCP S3E3 - James Gunn and 'Lollipop Chainsaw'
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'The Voice' Live Round Recap: The Top 10 Perform Beyonce Is a 'Grown Woman' in Leaked Track Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013