Listen: A special Toronto podcast with Christopher Mintz-Plasse and the team behind 'Hellbenders'
A candid conversation with Clancy Brown was a festival highlight
Toronto may be in the rear view at this point, but this podcast I put together from interviews I conducted at the festival is, in my opinion, a great pleasure. I'm always fairly upfront about how much I enjoy the overall atmosphere of the Midnight Madness screenings at the Ryerson. I'm a firm believer that if you're going to write about the festival, you need to include those films in that time slot in the public venue. That's the point.
When I saw that Chris Mintz-Plasse was working in Toronto, he seemed eager to try out something at the festival during his shooting schedule for "Kick-Ass 2." When I first got to town, I posted that story about the Twitter feed that director Jeff Wadlow was using to reveal images from behind the scenes. He's continued to post an image a day. It's exactly the right amount of tease, and so far, he hasn't even remotely hinted at a spoiler. He's been fairly jovial when discussing paparazzi photo leaks from the set. It's been fun to observe. Chris seemed fairly excited about the film, about the just-revealed casting of Jim Carrey in a key role, and about the evolution of his character from frustrated son to Red Mist to broken-hearted son to super villain. The end of the first film made the biggest promise in regards to where he might be headed, and much of the large supporting cast is used to fill out his own personal team of super villains with a name so filthy, I'm fairly sure I'm not even allowed to print it with a**erisks taken out.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Between the various TV interviews I was doing, many of which you'll see in the weeks ahead as the films start to arrive in theaters, I was also trying to find time to add in some interviews that were audio only. The biggest of those will be published here as a special feature-length piece very soon, once "Cloud Atlas" is a little closer to release, but the rest of them were recorded with the intent of including them in a podcast. A sort of special-edition one-off that we'll do once a year. And this year, it's one of the stars of "Hellbenders," the legendary Clancy Brown, and it's also writer/director J.T. Petty, whose work I'm a fan of in general, and who is remarkably candid about the work he does and the scale at which he works.
I'm on the road most of Wednesday, and I'm hoping I'll have more reviews and features for you even as I'm in route to Austin.
Toronto 2012 with Chris Mintz-Plasse, J.T. Petty, and Clancy Brown
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Film Festivals on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013