Kevin Feige promises 'Ant-Man' in 2015 and Dr. Strange as part of Marvel's Phase Three
Could we expect a 'Black Panther' film in the mix as well?
Last year, one of the most interesting parts of the Marvel panel at the San Diego Comic-Con was the presentation of the test footage for Edgar Wright's long-developing "Ant-Man" movie.
It was surprisingly rough, but I think it speaks to Marvel's enthusiasm for the project that they would decide to show it anyway. As a proof-of-concept, it's incredibly effective. Basically, it's just Ant-Man running down a hallway and then knocking out a couple of goons with guns. What makes it feel so fresh is the way Ant-Man alters his own size during the run and the fight. Devin Faraci described it as "size fu" after we all saw that Comic-Con panel, and that's a perfect way to sum up what it is that Wright seems to be doing. He and Joe Cornish have been working on a script for the film for a while now, in-between other projects, and it looks like they've decided where "Ant-Man" fits into the larger picture.
Kevin Feige spoke to MTV Splash Page about Phase Three, which is going to be the batch of films made after "The Avengers 2" arrives in theaters in 2015. They set a November 6, 2015 release date for the film in October last year, and Feige set the record straight on how "Ant-Man" fits into things. It sounds like they're going to really start to stretch and try new things once they've got "The Avengers 2" in theaters, which Feige says is coming together well right now.
"There's a lot of work still to do… but there are already seven things in there that are worth the price of admission alone," he recently said about the super-sequel. He's started doing "Iron Man 3" press, which is why we're getting more new quotes about what to expect in this batch of films that starts arriving in theaters in May. He says "there's certainly a road that's being paved… you just might not notice it." There are things that have been peppered through "Thor: The Dark World," "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," and of course "Iron Man 3" that will all become more important or more apparent once we finally get to the sequel that Joss Whedon is currently scripting, even as he directs the pilot of "S.H.I.E.L.D." for ABC.
The most exciting thing that Feige confirmed in the piece is that Dr. Strange will be a part of the Phase Three films, and that's been a long time coming. Feige has always been up front during interviews about how much he loves the character, and if they're willing to now peg "Strange" to a release during Phase Three, there may have been a creative breakthrough by someone. I have no idea who is currently attached to the character, but I am thrilled that they're getting closer to bringing the Sorcerer Supreme to the screen.
Could the previously-rumored "Black Panther" end up in the Phase Three films as well? It's probably going to be a while until we get a final line-up out of Marvel, but for now, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for "H Is For Hero" or "What If?" to make it into the rotation.
"Iron Man 3" arrives in theaters May 3, 2013.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013