Judd Apatow talks about secret eating and drug vacations in 'This Is 40'
The writer/director takes a frank look at the dynamics of his new movie
On the eve of the recent TV press day for "This Is 40," Judd Apatow sent out a plea to any journalists that happened to check his Twitter feed.
"Tomorrow is the This Is 40 press junket. Hey journalists - be the one who asks unique, thought provoking questions no one else asks. Please."
As it happened, I was the last person into the room on the day of the interviews. That was the same day Paramount held their "Star Trek" press day, so there was a whole lot of running around and scrambling to make my times for everything. When I sat down across from Judd, I asked him if everyone had taken up his challenge, and he sighed. "Nope. Same four questions all day. 'What's it like to see Paul Rudd make out with your wife?' 'How fun is it directing your kids?' Pressure's on, Drew. Let's see what you've got."
This weekend, I'll run a longer conversation between the two of us, and I think it's a great loose back and forth. When you're doing an on-camera interview, things tend to be more sound-bite oriented. We talked about secret eating (something I know absolutely nothing about, hence my willowy build), how people in his films approach recreational drug use, and why "This Is 40" may not speak to everyone.
It's interesting to see what happens around those moments when someone has a film coming out, because they become omnipresent for a brief time. I think the coolest part of Judd's sudden presence everywhere has been the comedy issue he guest edited for "Vanity Fair." The piece on "The Blues Brothers" alone justifies the entire making of "This Is 40" in my opinion, as does the oral history of "Freaks and Geeks." The whole issue is great, though, and really highlights just how much Judd loves comedy as a whole. He takes the craft of making people laugh very seriously, and that's one of the reasons I have enjoyed the ongoing conversation we've been having since I met him on the set of "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." Here's hoping you guys also enjoy that conversation each time we share some new piece of it.
"This Is 40" opens in theaters everywhere today.
News From Our Partners
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013