Joe Carnahan appears to be done with 'Daredevil' reboot
A few Tweets make it look like the director is moving on
And just like that, the promise of Joe Carnahan's gritty '70s-based take on "Daredevil" appears to be a thing of the past.
Word recently leaked about a proposed deal between Fox and Marvel that would have extended the life of the "Daredevil" option for Fox in exchange for them allowing Marvel to use some of the characters that are included in the various rights packages that Fox has under option, specifically Galactus, who is still bundled in with the "Fantastic Four" property.
It appears that will no longer be the case.
If you check out Carnahan's Twitter timeline, you can see the conversations he's been having for the last few days, and it certainly seemed like Daredevil was on his mind. At one point, he told a fan "DD fans would be very pleased if they saw the things I've seen of late. Very, VERY pleased…" He also discussed some of his own feelings about how to portray the character. "You have to deal with the fact that he IS blind," he told one person who brought up the idea of Daredevil's other senses being supercharged to such a degree that his blindness didn't matter. "He can't be super-charged and seeing 'sound' through walls. That's bulls**t."
I love that Carnahan has not had that blunt, uncompromising attitude of his dulled by years of playing the development game in Hollywood. He's still very much the guy we first spoke to around the time "Narc" came out, and he's one of those people who doesn't seem to play the game by tiptoeing around things. If he's got something on his mind, he spills it.
That's why it's discouraging to read his tweets from last night.
"Think my idea for a certain retro, red-suited, Serpico-styled superhero went up in smoke today kids."
"We shall see. Time is NOT on anyone's side."
That's true. If Fox doesn't pin down a plan to extend their option by October, that's it. Game over. Marvel gets the rights back and Fox loses the character permanently. I wish we had some idea of what happened that ended Carnahan's ambitions for the character. This is not uncommon, though, this kind of a near-miss in developing a film. Carnahan's certainly had more than his fair share, too. I'm sure he'll rebound nicely, but this is going to be one of those great unanswered "What if?" moments, and that's a shame. I'd love to have seen what he was working on, and if the rights revert to Marvel, I doubt we'll see any version of the film any time soon.
For now, content yourself with the sizzle reel that Carnahan prepared for the studio, which he just released via YouTube:
Oh, well. Maybe next time.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
13 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Wars Rebels': New Animated Series Will Take Place Between 'Episode III and 'Episode IV' James Badge Dale, 'Iron Man 3' Star, Is Also in 'World War Z' and 'The Lone Ranger' 'Blue Jasmine' Poster Debut: Cate Blanchett Is Strikingly Stoic (PHOTO)
- Why Do I Own This?: A pint glass nicked from Forks, Washington, a.k.a. “Twilight, U.S.A.” Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling Nerd Curious: Why the essential collection Bradbury Stories explains how to live forever
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- One Direction Thank Their Fans for 2013 Billboard Music Award Wins Drake + Jay-Z Working on New Music [Pic] Taylor Swift Gets Grossed Out When Selena Gomez + Justin Bieber Kiss Backstage at 2013 Billboard Awards [Pics]
- Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1 Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh
- The Women TV Is Still Missing Jason Isaacs Reveals The One Co-Star He Won't Work With Again WATCH: La Toya's Tearful Break-Up Phone Call
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! Hey TV.com, Should I Watch The Goodwin Games?
- Sony Teases PlayStation 4 E3 Console Reveal in New Video George Takei as Every Character in 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Nintendo Promises Details on New 3D Mario, Smash Bros Before E3
You want to know what this summer sleeper's really like? Check this out.Monday, May 20, 2013
He's still holding the family togetherMonday, May 20, 2013
The director's next film promises to be packed with talentSunday, May 19, 2013
This is one you'll want to watch as soon as you've seen the movieFriday, May 17, 2013