Jack Nicholson may play Robert Downey Jr.'s father in 'The Judge' for Warner Bros.
Will the veteran actor make a deal to play an Alzheimer's patient on trial for murder?
It is becoming increasingly rare that we see Jack Nicholson onscreen, so even the possibility of him signing to play Robert Downey Jr.'s father in "The Judge" is a big deal.
There was a time when I thought of Nicholson and De Niro as the twin titans of American movie acting, and it seemed like they worked constantly. Age being the demanding master that it is, both men have slowed down in recent years and there are far fewer interesting roles written that they are right for, which could also be a big factor in why we see less of them.
De Niro has responded by cornering the market on the whole "hardass father" archetype, playing it for comic effect in the "Meet The Parents" series and playing it closer to real in the excellent "Silver Linings Playbook" or in "Being Flynn." Nicholson has responded by simply taking fewer roles. He was great in "The Departed," but "The Bucket List" felt to me like one of the easiest paychecks of his career.
I am intrigued by the notion of "The Judge," where Downey plays a lawyer who is called home to represent his Alzheimer's-patient father in a murder trial. It sounds like a big giant popcorn movie, especially with David Dobkin directing from Nick Schenk's script, and that's exactly the right kind of pairing to make material like this seem worthwhile or fresh. That role sounds like it was tailored to Robert Downey Jr.'s particular talents, and seeing him butt heads with Nicholson could be a lot of fun. Legal dramas like this are always about the fireworks in the courtroom and the twists and the turns of the case, and I'm curious to see how Downey and Nicholson play off of one another.
This is not set in stone yet, and according to Borys Kit, the meeting between Downey Jr. and Nicholson will take place later this week, and we should hear more after that.
In the meantime, "Iron Man 3" is on target to arrive in theaters May 3, 2013.
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013