George Clooney may star in Brad Bird's UFO movie '1952'
With story details still closely guarded, this is an intriguing package
It's interesting that when people started listing A-list filmmakers they'd want to see tackle the next "Star Wars" film, Brad Bird's name came up more than almost any other. I've had faith in Bird's abilities as a storyteller for years, and as soon as I saw a rough cut of "Iron Giant," I was ready to declare the guy a national treasure. It wasn't until he made the jump to live-action filmmaking with "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol' that he was suddenly at the top of every fanboy's wish list for pretty much every genre film in development.
I'm excited to see him develop original material, though, because I think he's got a strong voice and he's got a deeply-rooted love of genre. He's exactly the sort of guy we should be supporting in the creation of new properties instead of just dumping the familiar on him over and over. Sure, he'd make a great "Star Wars" movie, but I'd rather see whatever "1952" is from him instead.
What we know so far is that the script is by Damon Lindelof and Jeff Jensen, who you may know as a pop culture columnist from "Entertainment Weekly." It has long been theorized that the film might have something to do with the Washington D.C. UFO sightings from 1952, which inspired all sorts of film and TV projects including "Earth Versus The Flying Saucers," and Variety's report today once again suggests that the film is about alien invaders. If the casting they discussed today works out, though, we can expect to see George Clooney in the mix, and that makes this even more interesting.
After all, Clooney doesn't do a ton of big genre movies. He has seemed very happy to star in and direct movies that are more adult in nature, less genre or blockbuster oriented. This could be a great way for him to make a big piece of pop entertainment that is also substantial. I like the fact that this is still pretty much an unknown quantity, that we really have no idea what it is.
It sounds like they're getting ready to get this one started in earnest, and we'll have more for you as it comes together.
News From Our Partners
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013