Exclusive: Nicole Kidman, Mia Wasikowska and Matthew Goode in new 'Stoker' images
A new peek at Park Chan-wook's new film on the eve of its Sundance premiere
One of the films I watched over the Christmas holiday was Alfred Hitchcock's "Shadow Of A Doubt." I watched it because I was in the midst of watching several Alfred Hitchock titles recently released on Blu-ray, I watched it because it's a great movie that I hadn't seen in many years, and I watched it because I suspect it is the spiritual godfather of Park Chan-wook's first American film, "Stoker," which I'll be seeing in just a few days here at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.
If you're not familiar with "Shadow Of A Doubt," it tells the story of a bright young woman named Charlie (Teresa Wright) who is excited when her beloved Uncle Charlie (Joseph Cotten) comes to stay with her family. When she begins to suspect that her uncle may be a killer on the run from the law, the film turns into an exercise in tension. "Stoker," written by Wentworth Miller and Erin Cressida Wilson, tells the story of a young woman named India (Mia Wasikowska) whose father dies. An Uncle Charlie she never knew about shows up, played by Matthew Goode, and moves in with India and her mother (Nicole Kidman), and the first trailer made it look like it also turns into an exercise in tension.
Obviously the lesson here is that you can never ever trust an Uncle Charlie, no matter what.
We've got five new images from the film today as a preview, and I'll be reviewing the film as soon as it premieres to the public in a few days. I'm excited to see what Park Chan-wook does with the material and with that cast, and this is just one of the many Sundance titles that has me excited to be here again.
Make sure you check back here at HitFix often every day during the festival, as we've got a team in place that should keep a steady stream of reviews and interviews coming in, including on-the-spot video and highlights. Our goal every year is to get even better at making you feel like you're here at the festival with us, and you'll see Dan Fienberg, Greg Ellwood, Guy Lodge, Kristopher Tapley, Katie Hasty and myself all filing pieces in what we hope will be a Sundance round robin of everything you need and want to know about what's happening here in Park City.
"Stoker" will arrive in limited US release on March 1, 2013.
News From Our Partners
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013