Edward Norton explains why he still hasn't seen 'The Avengers'
What does a past-tense Hulk think of 'The Other Guy'?
CANNES - "It just isn't very important to me."
While that may look dismissive in print, that's not the way it came across when I asked Edward Norton about "The Avengers" and the new Hulk in town during our time chatting at the "Moonrise Kingdom" press day.
In fact, far from it. I spent most of our conversation focused on his work with Wes Anderson in the new film, but I knew that I had to ask him if he'd seen Joss Whedon's film yet and, if so, what he thought of it. After all, we were the ones who broke the story when Norton first learned he might not be returning for a second go-round as Bruce Banner and his big green alter-ego. I felt like a quick comment from him would be the exact right button to put on things at the end of the entire process. If you don't remember, you can follow the story as it developed here, here, here, here and here.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"Mark is like a brother to me," he said, praising "Avengers" star Mark Ruffalo's commitment to his work overall. "Besides, he's got two kids, and I'm really happy he gets to have this moment with them," he continued. When I asked him if he'd actually seen the film yet, that's when he admitted that he had not, and that it hadn't been a priority. And while some might see that as a dodge, I can understand how that happens. When he was part of the Marvel universe, he took it very seriously, and our talks about his approach to things in 2008 were engaging and thorough. He's not part of that anymore, though, and he's got other things that occupy his attention these days, like Crowdrise, the Kickstarter-esque charity website that he and Shauna Robertson have helped build over the last few years, and like "Moonrise Kingdom" itself, where he does some lovely, delicate work.
I hope Norton does get a chance to see "The Avengers." I think he'd be proud of Ruffalo, and I think he'd have fun with how they handled The Hulk. He was passionate about the character and its history when it was his turn at bat, and I'm guessing that, removed from the hype of a film's release and the scrutiny of a press hungry for some sort of reaction, he'll find himself charmed by "The Other Guy."
"Moonrise Kingdom" opens in NY and LA on May 25, and goes wide on June 29.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
14 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
The final film in the trilogy changes the way we look at the seriesTuesday, May 21, 2013
Plus he describes how he's like his character in the filmsMonday, May 20, 2013
One of the strangest moments of my online career involved the legendary musicianMonday, May 20, 2013
Instead, he explains how he feels the new film defines the whole trilogyMonday, May 20, 2013