Danny Boyle's 'Trance' has a red-band trailer that will blow your mind
A crime movie and a head game in one? Count us in.
Danny Boyle is a trickster spirit.
That's the only explanation for the way he's been able to morph from one filmmaker into another, covering a wide range of subject matter and tone, and it looks like he's pushing into some strange new territory with his new film "Trance," which just got a new red-band trailer today. I'm not sure when the first trailer came out, but I somehow missed it completely.
After seeing the red-band trailer today? I'm in. Let's see it now.
He's working with his longtime screenwriting collaborator John Hodge again, and it looks like a mystery thriller with a crazy psychological component. James McAvoy plays an auctioneer who works with big-ticket art items. One painting in particular goes missing, and people are convinced the answer to what happened is locked inside McAvoy's head. He says he doesn't remember, and he agrees to allow a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) to try to help him unlock the secret.
Based on the trailer, it looks like McAvoy arranged to steal the painting with Cassel's character, and that it's Cassel who is determined to crack the secret about the painting's location. The imagery in the trailer is dense and sensual, and I must say, if I have to be hypnotized and seduced by a femme fatale in a neo-noir thriller, Rosario Dawson would be at the top of the list of people who could make that happen.
The trailer is red-banded for a reason. There's a horrifying bit of violence in the middle of the trailer, there's some suggestive sexual imagery, and then there's that ending… oh, my. I'm going to guess that's not meant to be reality, but it is an unforgettable shot, and if Boyle's going to give us a film full of that, then this could be a very exciting addition to his body of work.
"Trance" is set for limited release April 5, 2013.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28 'White House Down' Featurette: Roland Emmerich Revists White House-Based Mayhem Jimmy Fallon Goes 'Game of Thrones' For 'Late Night's "Game of Desks"
- What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged? Tavis Smiley Marks 10th Year On PBS
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
How long until they discuss another film in this series?Friday, May 24, 2013
They can both use the same character, but will it be worth it?Thursday, May 23, 2013
Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat talk about returning to the roles of loving cousins for 'Arrested Development'Our conversation was an afternoon delightThursday, May 23, 2013
One of the emotional lynchpins of the series discusses the newest filmWednesday, May 22, 2013