Confirmed: JJ Abrams sneaks a Klingon into MTV Movie Awards
Hollywood's favorite secret-keeper hides a new villain in plain sight
In the last few days, I've been talking with a number of friends about "Prometheus," written in part by Damon Lindelof, and the careful campaign of secrecy that Fox and the filmmakers mounted while it was in production.
Obviously, Lindelof has some experience with working on something that he wants to keep secret, what with his time on "Lost" and his experiences working with JJ Abrams. Right now, I'm enjoying the build-up to the still-untitled sequel to "Star Trek," if for no other reason than it seems to be driving the Internet crazy.
Abrams, of course, is the king of playing games with the Internet while he's in production on something, and so far, he's played things very close to the vest on "Star Trek 2." Close enough that people still are arguing about whether or not Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Khan in the film, and close enough that there's still rampant speculation about whether or not he's going to include Klingons in the film.
I missed his appearance on the MTV Movie Awards last night, but very soon after it aired, TrekMovie.com put up a piece in which they included the verrrrrry interesting image that you see attached to this story.
It seems that there was a Klingon on a monitor behind Abrams during his appearance, and TrekMovie started speculating about where the image came from and what it means.
HitFix can confirm that you are indeed looking at a new image from the sequel there, and that it is indeed a Klingon you're looking at on the screen.
We asked our sources at the studio today to comment, and while they were reluctant to go on the record, they were careful to point out that the image wasn't included in the clip by accident. It's a fun way to tease the design, and if you look at that TrekMovie story, they also have an image from the 2009 film of a Klingon used in a deleted scene. Looks like they wear these striking metal helmets in this iteration of the "Star Trek" universe, and that this will be getting in on the action for the new film.
So what do you think? We've got confirmation that the most famous aliens aside from Vulcans in the "Star Trek" universe will be in the sequel. Are you happy to hear it?
The "Star Trek" sequel will be in theaters May 17, 2013.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
15 days ago
about 1 month ago
|Discuss In Theaters and Coming Soon on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Please Watch New 'Arrested Development' In Order & Not At Once From 'Idol' Contestants To Judges? From 'Unfabulous' To 'American Horror Story'
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly Interview: Katie Aselton on going from mumblecore to thriller—and directing her own nude scenes TV Roundtable: Boobies, pee-pees, codependence, and grounding the shenanigans with heart
- New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights 'Fast & Furious 6': How Michelle Rodriguez Came Back From The Dead
- 'Before Midnight' L.A. Premiere: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy Celebrate 18 Years Together (PHOTOS) Josh Hutcherson in 'Ape': 'Hunger Games' Star Lines Up Role in Psychological Thriller 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Kneel Before General Zod
- Rihanna Working on Eighth Album [Pic] One Direction to Release Fourth Book This Summer Beyonce Reveals Battle With Tonsillitis + 'Grown Woman' Choreography in Mrs. Carter Show Tour Videos
- Xbox One Games Can Be Played By Multiple Users on One Console 'American Horror Story: Coven' Adds Emma Roberts 'Fast 6′ vs. 'Hangover 3′: Who Will Win the Memorial Day Weekend Box Office?
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
Two of the supporting characters from the trilogy weigh in on saying goodbyeWednesday, May 22, 2013
Simon Pegg is still jumping fencesWednesday, May 22, 2013
As the series shifts focus and winds down, we talk to the main trio about returning one last timeWednesday, May 22, 2013
One of the film's biggest ideas is explained more clearlyTuesday, May 21, 2013